• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pope Francis says freedom of speech has limits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pope Francis says freedom of speech has limits

No Francis, it does not. That's why it's called 'freedom' of speech and not censored speech.

Why is tollerence

BBC News - Paris attacks: Pope Francis says freedom of speech has limits

Paris attacks: Pope Francis says freedom of speech has limits

15 January 2015 Last updated at 18:19 GMT
    The pontiff told journalists his assistant could expect a punch if he cursed his mother

Pope Francis has defended freedom of expression following last week's attack on French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo - but also stressed its limits.

The pontiff said religions had to be treated with respect, so that people's faiths was not insulted or ridiculed.

Seriously WTF? Has he never watch the life of Bryan?

To illustrate his point, he told journalists that his assistant could expect a punch if he cursed his mother.
    Fair enough, I'd might do the same, but not with an AK47.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    To illustrate his point, he told journalists that his assistant could expect a punch if he cursed his mother.
    That's odd, surely the correct reaction should be to pray for him and forgive?

Comment

If only he watched the 'Life of Brian', punches would be flying left, right and centre.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        No Francis, it does not. That's why it's called 'freedom' of speech and not censored speech.
        Are you saying he shouldn't have been allowed to say it?

Comment

I think he's right that freedom of speech has its limits, but those limits are where it is manifestly harmful. His predecessor (St. Pete) had it right "Don't use your freedom to do evil".

Mocking religious beliefs hurts feelings of believers, but that's it. Unless God actually does exists and responds negatively towards countries that allow this mockery... you might get floods, financial crises, earthquakes...
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I think he's right that freedom of speech has its limits, but those limits are where it is manifestly harmful. His predecessor (St. Pete) had it right "Don't use your freedom to do evil".

Mocking religious beliefs hurts feelings of believers, but that's it. Unless God actually does exists and responds negatively towards countries that allow this mockery... you might get floods, financial crises, earthquakes...
            Or even worse, Tony Blair or his offspring, Cameron.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              I think he's right that freedom of speech has its limits, but those limits are where it is manifestly harmful.
              I think he's wrong. Speaking is just that and nothing more. Whoever throws the first punch is the one taking it to the next level. Now that's causing harm.

The day minorities in the UK are called to show restraint instead of tolerance really does show the level of fear our leaders have.

Comment

I'm with His Holiness, for once. Freedom of speech of itself is fine, but if it is an excuse for expressing disrespect, contempt or hatred of another's beliefs, whatever they may be, it stops being free expression. You cannot possibly condone or justify the attack on Charlie Hebdon, but their own content, in its own way, was (still is) every bit as hateful; the only difference is they don't kill people.

And FWIW, I don't consider any of these extremists as Muslim in any way shape or form. They are psychopaths looking for an excuse, that's all.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I wouldn't go as far as 'as hateful' but some of the stuff they published appears to serve no other purpose than to upset, offend and provoke a disproportionate reaction. It's lacks the humour or insight that to me defines satire.

Just because they're allowed to say it, doesn't mean they should. Je ne suis pas Charlie, because whilst I have no problems with questioning and challenging someone's beliefs, insulting and mocking them simply isn't a nice way to behave. The best way to lose freedom is to abuse it. In the UK, we don't allow hate speech against race, gender, sexuality. I don't see religion being that different. For those who say it's a choice, I'm not sure it is - I can choose to become Muslim/Christian or whatever tomorrow, but I can't choose to believe in God if I don't, and whilst someone who believes in God may start to doubt their faith, not believing isn't really a choice.

Be kind to your fellow beings is a good philosophy whatever you do or don't believe in.

Comment

I'd consider myself a leftie. Every word that falls out of the PM's mouth offends me. His use of policy to defend the interests of society's elitist really offends me.

Comment

Working...
                    X