• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewed at big bank, asked too little money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviewed at big bank, asked too little money

I've had an interview at a bank and whereas I normally ask £500 daily, this agent kind of forced me into saying my lowest of 400-500 range, because job specs for this ad said max. £400. But after the interview I read about many 10% cuts at this bank and the job just seems deadsimple and a matter of spending a lot of time doing nothing, due to the small size of the infrastructure I'd manages, so I'm willing to say no. The bank is very desperate for somebody to fill the shoes, because the current guy leaves in 3 weeks and they want some handover time.

I'm currently in a 2-week notice on a perm-job that btw. is also boring as hell. I know there are not many other candidates and I'm expecting to get an offer on Monday. Should I feel bad about asking them more?

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
    I've had an interview at a bank and whereas I normally ask £500 daily, this agent kind of forced me into saying my lowest of 400-500 range, because job specs for this ad said max. £400. But after the interview I read about many 10% cuts at this bank and the job just seems deadsimple and a matter of spending a lot of time doing nothing, due to the small size of the infrastructure I'd manages, so I'm willing to say no. The bank is very desperate for somebody to fill the shoes, because the current guy leaves in 3 weeks and they want some handover time.

I'm currently in a 2-week notice on a perm-job that btw. is also boring as hell. I know there are not many other candidates and I'm expecting to get an offer on Monday. Should I feel bad about asking them more?
    Yes.

Neeeeeext?
    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Why do you normally ask for 500 if you are still a permie?

Gotta be a sockie this one. Surely people commanding 500 quid don't come up with crap like this.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why do you normally ask for 500 if you are still a permie?

Gotta be a sockie this one. Surely people commanding 500 quid don't come up with crap like this.
        Hoisted by ones own petard. Perhaps the OP has been practicing in their head. When I'm practicing like that, I generally ask for one million dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Hoisted by ones own petard. Perhaps the OP has been practicing in their head. When I'm practicing like that, I generally ask for one million dollars.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've had an interview at a bank and whereas I normally ask £500 daily, this agent kind of forced me into
            Is that what you normally charge (assuming you were a contractor in the past and that was your rate)? Or is that what you normally expect the client to pay (assuming you've never been a contractor)?

I've had an interview at a bank and whereas I normally ask £500 daily, this agent kind of forced me into

Comment

Sorry, NLUK has "sort of" asked the same question.

I tend to ignore him these days!

Comment

This is the same guy who claimed to be swamped by agencies calling him with 25 voicemails waiting for him:
                http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...nt-jobs-2.html
                He also claimed in an earlier post he had 1 months notice (now he's saying two weeks)

Looks like a troll to me

Comment

1. I showed screenshots of the voicemails.
                  2. My boss agreed to lower the notice from 4 to 2 weeks.

You guys seem so jealous to me

Comment

1. I showed screenshots of the voicemails.
                    2. My boss agreed to lower the notice from 4 to 2 weeks.

You guys seem so jealous to me
                    Jealous as we are in a contract and you're not?

Comment

Working...
                    X