• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie salaries - In IT why would you ever accept them?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie salaries - In IT why would you ever accept them?

Seems to me, outside of London, a very senior developer with many many years of experience in the latest in demand skills commands about £40K tops.

For this they would expect a graduate educated, professionally qualified world leading guru who lives and breathes IT with all the fasionable buzzwords on their CV, willing to work long hours and every weekend for a slice of pizza.

I know painters and decorators who can't even read or write who earn more than that. I know heating engineers who fit boilers who earn double that.

Why would anyone with in IT consider these types of salaries? I know the Bobs have destroyed the pay in IT, but who takes these salaries seriously?

People take them because they want steady permanent work.

However those companies who set up in the SE within commuting distance to London are aware they are competing with London so often offer higher salaries.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Seems to me, outside of London, a very senior developer with many many years of experience in the latest in demand skills commands about £40K tops.

For this they would expect a graduate educated, professionally qualified world leading guru who lives and breathes IT with all the fasionable buzzwords on their CV, willing to work long hours and every weekend for a slice of pizza.

I know painters and decorators who can't even read or write who earn more than that. I know heating engineers who fit boilers who earn double that.

Why would anyone with in IT consider these types of salaries? I know the Bobs have destroyed the pay in IT, but who takes these salaries seriously?

Well, if what you said was true '40K tops outside of London' then I'd agree. But as you're wrong(we pay all ours 70k basic outside of London & we have about 100), I cannot really argue the point with you.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The head of software development would struggle to get £70K. Would be outsourced to a Bob for $10 an hour.

I think what would surprise people is how much non-IT is paying. For example a bricklayer gets £500 a day now.

Comment

There's a difference, you know what it's like on the other side, many don't.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I took a permie salary in 2000, because I was persuade to go to an interview, and when they asked me how much I wanted, I quoted a stupidly high amount. They then offered me a job at a management level that attracted that salary. The bastards.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The head of software development would struggle to get £70K. Would be outsourced to a Bob for $10 an hour.

I think what would surprise people is how much non-IT is paying. For example a bricklayer gets £500 a day now.
              In the UK yes IT salaries have always IMHO been lower than what they should be. Hence a heck of a lot of brain drain to the US. Its a young man's game and they're quite happy to earn £24K with a 10 years experience in all the latest goodies.

Get beyond 45 and just try and get a job. Doesn't happen.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

For example a bricklayer gets £500 a day now.
                Big margins in building new houses.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Big margins in building new houses.
                  He doesn't half talk a lot of crap.

Painter / Decorator - 70-150 depending on where you are
                  Chippy - 100 - 175 depending on where you are
                  Electrician 175 - 300 depending on where you are
                  Plumber 175- 300 depending on where you are
                  Bricklayer 150 - 250 depending on where you are

The problem with Dim and (formally Sas) is that they think when they get a quote to put up a new shed or fit out the bathroom, that 500 quid a day is how much they should be paying.

Mugs
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    The problem with Dim and (formally Sas) is that they think when they get a quote to put up a new shed or fit out the bathroom, that 500 quid a day is how much they should be paying. Mugs
                    Aye.

It's like thinking solicitor who charges you £200 per hour for work is making 350k per annum.

I doubt very much either of them would choose to work outdoors under rain and cold as bricklayer or some such even if it makes them double the money.

Comment

Working...
                    X