• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM on Pope comments: 'There is a right to cause offence'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh? Whit, but the big yin the other day just said.. we'll at least me and the PM agree on this matter.

BBC News - PM on Pope comments: 'There is a right to cause offence'

18 January 2015 Last updated at 11:28 GMT
    David CameronThe UK PM said people did not have the right to 'wreak vengeance' if offended
    Prime Minister David Cameron has disagreed with a comment made by Pope Francis, who warned against mocking others' religions.

Following the attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo, the Pope made his point by saying someone who insulted his mother could "expect to get punched".

But Mr Cameron, speaking to CBS News, said the media had the right to publish material that was offensive to some.

Twelve people were killed by militant Islamists in the attack in Paris.

A policewoman and four people at a kosher supermarket died in separate attacks in the French capital earlier this month.

'Right to offence'
    Speaking to the Face the Nation programme on the American TV channel CBS, Mr Cameron was asked how to "find the right balance" after the Pope defended freedom of expression but said there were limits to freedom of speech.

The pontiff had said religions should be treated with respect, so that people's faiths were not insulted or ridiculed.

Mr Cameron replied: "I think in a free society, there is a right to cause offence about someone's religion.

"I'm a Christian - if someone says something offensive about Jesus, I might find that offensive, but in a free society I don't have a right to, sort of, wreak my vengeance on them."

He said as long as publications acted within the law, they had the right to publish any material, even if it was offensive to some.

Former Bishop of Oxford Richard Harries, writing in the Independent on Sunday, also suggested the Pope had been wrong to make the comments.

I'm having a moment..

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Working...
X