• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website development

Anybody on here work as a website developer using tools like Wordpress or Drupal? I've had a play with Wordpress and built a site tweaking a theme (nothing special) and a mate of mine has just launched a magazine style site, so it got me wondering .... does anyone actually make money out of Wordpress development? Or are most sites self built?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

I think it's easy enough for anyone with technical skills to get something up and running, but it can take time to tweak everything so it's just right. I'd be tempted to go with an outside company if I want a really snazzy looking site because I know my graphic design skills aren't up to scratch.
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
      I think it's easy enough for anyone with technical skills to get something up and running, but it can take time to tweak everything so it's just right. I'd be tempted to go with an outside company if I want a really snazzy looking site because I know my graphic design skills aren't up to scratch.
      +1 wordpress is click, install and works 99.99% of the time. The difficult bit is not getting it working but getting a design / template you or the customer wants. That is something I will leave to others as my design skills are not good enough for that.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I used WP with a pre-bought theme for plan B site, but then hired a freelance web-design guy to help me make a few modifications and fit page content in where the theme wasn't as flexible as needed, using raw HTML/CSS.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If, like me, you're poor at making things look good with CSS try here.
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

I paid $20 for Wordpress theme customisation.
            I got my money's worth - sent a PDF and they pounded on it until the WP website looked like that.
            The code wasn't too clean but it is working fine for some 5-6 years now (the site gets very little traffic nowadays)

Comment

I have made money out of building websites, kind of !

I started messing about a couple of years back when I needed one for a company we started. Initially paid an outside design company to do it, and that introduced me to WordPress. I then maintained it and learnt enough to re-skin it (using a new theme).

Then built a small ecommerce site for my wife's company just to get some more practice. Oh, the joy when it got it's first online order

I've just built another site for wife's company to replace their existing sites. And for this she paid me actual money!

Agree that if you have a basic techie ability, you can spin up a WP site pretty easily. You also don't need to be a graphic designer (I'm certainly not) as you just pick a theme which matches closely to the look you want. There's plenty of plugins to add/modify functionality. The main coding I do on sites is CSS to style it.

There are opportunities out there to earn money as some small companies don't have the technical ability in-house, but I don't think I could personally make a full-time living out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                Anybody on here work as a website developer using tools like Wordpress or Drupal? I've had a play with Wordpress and built a site tweaking a theme (nothing special) and a mate of mine has just launched a magazine style site, so it got me wondering .... does anyone actually make money out of Wordpress development? Or are most sites self built?
                I've done commercial contract work on sites built on both WordPress and Drupal.

The WP one was pretty weird, actually: we only used WP's admin as a content management system, because the various people within the organisation who would be producing content were already familiar with it from other internal uses of it. The usual public-facing parts of WP weren't used at all. The content was then extracted over HTTP via a JSON API (provided by a WordPress plugin) by a Node task running as a cron job and rendered into static HTML using server-side jQuery (yes, really), as well as being used to plug the same content into a PhoneGap (now Cordova) mobile app

I was not responsible for coming up with this unusual workflow, which I suspect reflected the desire of a certain person at the client's to just do some stuff with these various technologies. (I did try to shoehorn XSLT in there, because I like XSLT, but sadly it proved to be impractical to fit it in anywhere )

The Drupal stuff was more straightforward commercial sites, where my involvement was mainly limited to putting together HTML templates, CSS, and JS for the front end.

Comment

I did a fairly simple WP website. It was pretty easy, once I'd tooled around with it for a couple of days, especially as the host did 1-click install. The site had an e-commerce plugin though, which was a major pain to get working. This was in 2010 so the e-commerce side may have improved by now.

I'm indifferent at best wrt to graphic design, so I bought a $20 'theme' that took care of that (atahualpa I recall).

WP is great for fairly simple websites, which is why it's so massively popular.I think I'd use Joomla or Drupal for something bigger though.

Comment

Some interesting comments here guys - thanks
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X