• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oil industry contractor armageddon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil industry contractor armageddon

Who else is working in the upstream oil/gas industry?

It's an absolute bloodbath for IT contractors, I've never seen anything like it in my 10+ years in the industry, even after the 2008 financial crisis. New projects are being killed at birth, only the most essential ongoing projects are surviving.

Who's had their rate cut or been terminated already?

Benched since November. Market is very quiet at the moment.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I work for an energy trading company. They are making a fortune being dirty spekulants on energy price volatility.

Boomed!

Comment

Still supporting a Aberdeen based company... no I'm not trolling, just don't work in IT.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Did a gig at BPee in London pre-2008 and decided NEVER to go back to O&G.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Did a gig at BPee in London pre-2008 and decided NEVER to go back to O&G.
            Why, out of interest?

Comment

We have one contractor in Oil & Gas and he has had his rate reduced and he is fighting to stay. it is tough out there!
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                We have one contractor in Oil & Gas and he has had his rate reduced and he is fighting to stay. it is tough out there!
                Tell him to retrain as a windmill contractor. Boomed!

Comment

My partner finished his job at Schlumberger last week (he was perm). He handed his notice few months ago - he decided to change the industry altogether so wasn't affected by their cuts.

In his last week or two S announced they are making redundant something like 7% of emlpoyees plus pretty much all contractors from his department (software dev) will be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
                    Why, out of interest?
                    Bad times that lead to the IT managers becoming skint arseholes. Most E&P projects were stalled and there was no clear visibility on their fate.

Contractors became a bit cannibalistic and started fecking around. Quite stressful times and decided I couldn't be arsed with that industry anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X