• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Minimise tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimise tax

Can someone please tell me if there is something wrong with this approach to minimising tax:

Assume gross income £100K
    Expenses £15K
    Salary £10K

That leaves £75K to be taxed at 20% for corporation tax purposes, leaving £60K.

If in the 2014/15 tax year, I take £30K as dividends, (so that £30K + £10K = £40K is just below the lower tax band for income tax), that leaves £30K.

Now assuming I no longer work in 2015/16, can I take the remaining £30K without paying any tax?

If not, what is my best strategy (ASSUMING ALL ALONG I WILL NO LONGER WORK EVER AGAIN AFTER 5th April 2015)?

Thanks

Best post in Accounting / Legal

This is forum is just for benched cretins to talk tulip.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

This is forum is just for Suity and his attention seeking.

HTH BIDI
      FTFY

Comment

Yes, better in the professional forums.

But, yes, you can pay yourself one or more dividends in 2015/16 as you see fit (subject to their being legal). You can't pay yourself a salary unless you're in contract or actively seeking contracts. I'd question your motives though. You're not reducing tax, in any sense (either for YourCo or you), by not working in 2015/16. You could also service contracts in 2015/16 and build up a warchest (while taking a salary, which has some benefits too). The profitability (and hence CT position) of YourCo and the income you take as salary/dividends (and hence income/dividend tax liabilities) are two completely different things.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Yes, better in the professional forums.

But, yes, you can pay yourself one or more dividends in 2015/16 as you see fit (subject to their being legal). You can't pay yourself a salary unless you're in contract or actively seeking contracts. I'd question your motives though. You're not reducing tax, in any sense (either for YourCo or you), by not working in 2015/16. You could also service contracts in 2015/16 and build up a warchest (while taking a salary, which has some benefits too). The profitability (and hence CT position) of YourCo and the income you take as salary/dividends (and hence income/dividend tax liabilities) are two completely different things.
          Sorry...?
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Sorry...?
            You're excused.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              You're excused.
              But you're not. That's bollocks.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

15k expenses ????

holy bat, sh!tman
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  But you're not. That's bollocks.

The company has ceased trading, since "ASSUMING ALL ALONG I WILL NO LONGER WORK EVER AGAIN AFTER 5th April 2015". Thereafter, based on intent alone, the company is liable to being designated a CIC. However, regardless of whether it is trading or actually run actively as a CIC, my question would be this: what is the purpose of the Director's remuneration? It is remuneration for their efforts in managing the company and soliciting work (or making investments in the case of a CIC). In other words, the salary must be reasonable and not purely reflect the existence of the office. I think it's tough to justify paying a salary indefinitely (i.e. for multiple years), including from a CIC where no investments are being made. So, the OP should pay the remaining profits as a dividend and have the company struck off or consider a capital distribution via an MvL IMHO.

Comment

I don't think, realistically, a minimal £10k salary will ever be challenged as unreasonable for a company director regardless of trading status.

If the board members of TFL can be paid between £18-24k a year plus expenses plus free unlimited travel for attending 4 meetings a year, then I don't think a £10k directors salary is going to raise any eyebrows.

Besides, how the hell are HMRC going to know if you're not actively looking for work, unless you tell them?

Comment

Working...
                    X