• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ARGGHH!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARGGHH!!

Instead of typing;

Code:
    ls -l outputs/*
    I esc-K, K'd to what I thought was the above previously typed command but pressed enter on;

Code:
    rm -rf /outputs/*
    instead....

Oh well, start again.....

Still, could have been worse! Might have been the next directory up instead
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Have you checked the Recycle Bin?
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        Have you checked the Recycle Bin?
        I've got a whole Wall's Viennetta in the fridge, not Mint, I don't like the Mint ones. I'm checking that instead....

On top of that I'm on call this week, and thought it was next week, called twice last night and chewed off the firstliner screaming 'I'M NOT ON CALL!!!'. Oops....

Comment

I once typed * in the directory of the overnight batch jobs.
          Thought 'oops' and pressed controlC, but it carried on and ran every single one of the bloody things. Payment runs, the lot.
          The system admin wasn't very happy with me.

Comment

did an rm -rf at in the root once on an established system (been in a couple of years and had been under another engineer, my first time visiting), so I turned round and said so where is your backup I can rebuild to that it may take a while but we can get to this morning.

backup - oh that has never run, we were hoping you could fix that.....

cue pink face...
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Once did this on a Solaris box;

Code:
              tar -cvf /export/home /backups/homes.tar
              i.e. got the source and dest wrong way round, wiped everyone's home directory and ended up with an empty tar file. No tape backups, but I was young and carefree and had interesting hair and blamed it on somebody else.

Even now though, I stop and pause for quiet introspection when I use tar - like this;

Code:
              tar............

sleep 60

./muse.sh

./pootimer.sh

echo Well Done stek, you now have 0.987% of the Maserati QP IV

cvf filename.tar /export/home

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                got the source and dest wrong way round,
                Ah yes, the classic dd fail.

I once got a weekend in Germany because someone did an rm -rf * at root level.

He said 'Well I know you told me not to do it, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway'.

-Halcion days of mag tape and getting on a turboprop....

Comment

Might be wise changing the alias for rm to be interactive so at least it would have prompted you

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                    Might be wise changing the alias for rm to be interactive so at least it would have prompted you
                    -f overrides the prompt though....

Comment

Working...
                    X