• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up a limited company in the UK but being resident in Spain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a limited company in the UK but being resident in Spain

I'm currently living in Spain as a Spanish national (although I have British Citizenship but I am not a British national and have lived in the U.K. for practically most of my life and worked as a UK contractor via my UK limited companies). Question is how viable is it for me to be permanently resident in Spain yet be the director of a UK company which employs Spanish employees (contractors or 'autonomos', no permie staff) who all also have residency in Spain ? (this part seems like a grey area to me and is most likely not viable, correct me if I'm wrong but note back in the day I only paid myself wages/dividends through my UK limited I didn't have anyone else on the payroll so I have no experience of this).

I know there would be currency risk in the business when it comes to converting from GBP to EUR but it just seems that Spanish business set up is more expensive and bureaucratic than U.K. limited companies.

Any advice ? or will I have to setup a limited company over in Spain ?

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    I'm currently living in Spain as a Spanish national (although I have British Citizenship but I am not a British national and have lived in the U.K. for practically most of my life and worked as a UK contractor via my UK limited companies). Question is how viable is it for me to be permanently resident in Spain yet be the director of a UK company which employs Spanish employees (contractors or 'autonomos', no permie staff) who all also have residency in Spain ? (this part seems like a grey area to me and is most likely not viable, correct me if I'm wrong but note back in the day I only paid myself wages/dividends through my UK limited I didn't have anyone else on the payroll so I have no experience of this).

I know there would be currency risk in the business when it comes to converting from GBP to EUR but it just seems that Spanish business set up is more expensive and bureaucratic than U.K. limited companies.

Can you bleed radiators?
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

I can bleed radiators but Spanish governments can bleed companies dry

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
      Can you bleed radiators?
      lol no I'm afraid the company is going to provide a more complex service than that ! The target is to get a global product shipped out and available to different international markets so ideally sales would be conducted via British mainland but employees working on creating the product would be located in Spain.

There is also an element of regional financial risk in Spain many of the cajas (building societies) have been rescued and merged into new entities during the crisis and politically there is the likelihood that the left will get into power who aren't the most lenient when it comes to imposing costs on private businesses particularly when some City Halls in Spain are severely in debt.

And just for the record its a £1.99 radiator key from Robert Dyas, a bowl to capture the water that drips out of the radiator valve when open, a dry towel to mop up any spray leak from the radiator... gently turn the key until all air is expelled, then turn again to firmly close and bingo you've got yourself a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
        Can you bleed radiators?
        You mean;

Oy, canno you bleedo del radiatores?

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

You can create a UK company on-line.
          Registered office should be UK, I use my accountants address.
          You are a director, you should have a UK address you can use.
          You can operate in Euro if you want too, open a Euro account.
          Invoice in Euro. Have a £ account also.
          Accountant will have to convert for you.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

why not set up the company in Guernsey or Gibraltar instead?

Comment

Set up a limited liability partnership - no need for residency at all. That's what the money launderers do. See Private Eye for more details.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Syntyrion View Post
                why not set up the company in Guernsey or Gibraltar instead?
                Hmmm not sure about Gibraltar it has lets say a certain reputation ... they even have an ' "offshore" Companies House ' ... sounds a bit like those offshore setups they had in Jersey and Isle of Man and look what happened there to all those located outside trying to take advantage of the excellent tax saving opportunities there .....
                Last edited by sbakoola; 21 January 2015, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  You mean;

Oy, canno you bleedo del radiatores?
                  I'm sorry, he's from Barcelona.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

You can set up a UK Ltd and register it in Spain.

You need to register the company where you do any work.

You will have a branch registered in the UK for the sales and a branch in Spain for the work done there.

You need a UK accountant and Spanish accountant and you will probably have to sort out some transfer pricing between the UK and Spain.

However you do this you can't avoid registering your business and paying tax in both countries. Each branch will have it's own separate book keeping.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 January 2015, 08:16.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X