• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid holidays for a contractor??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid holidays for a contractor??

Hope you guys can help.

I have been contracting for the same company for about 15 months now, made up by several contract extensions.

The length of the contracts have been a combination of 3 months and 1 month at a time.

I was told that as a contractor I should get paid holidys from my agency as I have been on the same contract for over 6 months. Is this the case???

I was under the impression that contractors dont get paid for holidays.

I think I get paid holiday pay in my hourly rate, £1 something per hour.

Surely that must be it then, yes?
    Have I just answered my own question??

non comprende

Surely either your ltd co or your brolley pays you.

I you've got a ltd the pay yourself from your stash
    If you with a brolley then some brolleys deduct an amount from YOUR income to give back to YOU when your not working for the client.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by davidh
      Hope you guys can help.

I have been contracting for the same company for about 15 months now, made up by several contract extensions.

The length of the contracts have been a combination of 3 months and 1 month at a time.

I was told that as a contractor I should get paid holidys from my agency as I have been on the same contract for over 6 months. Is this the case???

I was under the impression that contractors dont get paid for holidays.

I think I get paid holiday pay in my hourly rate, £1 something per hour.

Surely that must be it then, yes?
      Have I just answered my own question??
      You are not a contractor, you are a temp.

HTH
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Sorryguys,

at the start I was PAYE through the agency and on my payslip I was getting £1 something per hour for holiday pay.

I am now with an umbrella company working with the same client.
        My timesheet doesnt say anything about holiday pay.

How is it normally dealt with by a brolly company?

Cheers, David.

Comment

Phone them up, ask for it

wait

Phone them again and moan because you haven't got it

wait

phone again and get fobbed off

wait

etc etc

Comment

Then start a Limited and write yourself a letter when something goes wrong.
            Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by davidh
              I am now with an umbrella company working with the same client.
              Yeah, I used them and they still owe me 27 years pay. They're rubbish.
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

To answer the actual question.

The brolly *should* structure the way that they pay you so that you receive holiday pay as required by the Working Time Directive. Brollies used to ignore this and aggregate the holiday pay into your hourly rate, after having you sign a form to say that you agreed to this process. The courts recently rulled this method of paying holiday pay as illegal.

Any brolly that doesn't have a scheme which pays you holiday pay properly (from a legal viewpoint) is asking to be sued, sooner or later.

tim

Comment

Working...
                X