• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you an organ donor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you an organ donor?

Motivated by the "parents donate dead baby's organs" story I wondered, how many of us carry an Organ Donor card or go further and stipulate in their will their body can be diced for medical science if desired?

I figure once I'm not using my body it's meat and anyone can call dibs on any parts they have a use for... just throw the rest in a bin.

Poll coming...
    I'm an organ donor
    63.64%
    I keep meaning to but never got round to it
    27.27%
    I am not, keep your hands off
    9.09%
    AndyW already reserved all my organs
    0.00%
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I'm registered with the Parkinson's Disease Association to give my brain to their research when I die. Someone needs to ring them within 24 hours of death, and they'll come and take it away and lop it up or something.

I'm also down for the normal donor things if there is anything useful to take.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I'm registered with the Parkinson's Disease Association to give my brain to their research when I die. Someone needs to ring them within 24 hours of death, and they'll come and take it away and lop it up or something.
      Hadn't heard of that one - giving them your brain, not them themselves.

Comment

Reason: Cowardice

I once saw a documentary. Docs were so keen to harvest organs as early as possible, patients were still alive when they were doing it. Some were aware but unable to respond, appeared dead. Somehow they survived (the docs noticed they moved a toe slightly or whatever, I don't remember) and came on the program to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Hadn't heard of that one - giving them your brain, not them themselves.
          Parkinson's UK - Parkinson's UK Brain Bank

They need lots of different samples to work with, so I thought they could have mine as I'm special
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Haven't done yet, but will do.

Better than giving my body to the vultures (family!)

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              Reason: Cowardice

I once saw a documentary. Docs were so keen to harvest organs as early as possible, patients were still alive when they were doing it. Some were aware but unable to respond, appeared dead. Somehow they survived (the docs noticed they moved a toe slightly or whatever, I don't remember) and came on the program to talk about it.

Was that the documentary featuring Hugh Laurie?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Was that the documentary featuring Hugh Laurie?
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I've carried a card for decades. I've discussed it with my sons so if it happens hopefully anything usable will avoid the chimney.
                  I probably should get their views on what they want in the event of their untimely departures, when they were kids it was a decision I would have made.

Didn't they make it an opt out rather than opt in a while back or was that just a proposal?

Comment

Given that in this country you are often stuck in the fridge on a nurses say so, and doctor only comes along to certify your death many hours or days later, after which time you would be dead anyways from the cold of the fridge... I have no faith at all in the system

Comment

Working...
                    X