• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone cross-country ski?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone cross-country ski?

We're considering trying this out when we holiday somewhere snowy. Although to be honest when I say "cross country" I mean more "get to the pub" because where we're planning to go, skis are the most convenient way to get around so we thought it would open up the area a bit to us, rather than wanting to go trekking into the wilderness? e.g. all the "footpaths" are ski-trails, and being on foot is actually quite limiting as the snow is many feet deep.

Is it something that takes a lot of learning and fitness, just to be able to stand up and follow an easy path? Or could we just rent some gear and figure it out on flat ground? A local guy we met said "oh it's very easy" but then he's grown up somewhere where skiing is like riding a bike in the UK.

Ta
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You mean Nordic Skiing?

I read somewhere recently more people injure themselves in this sport than normal skiing - how? :confused

Pelvic injury apparently being the most common.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      You mean Nordic Skiing?
      I'm not sure. I mean the type Finns (and probably similar) use to get around in the far north. Long, thin skis which (IIRC) only attach to your foot in one point rather than with big ski-boots?

Comment

I do snowshoeing these days.

First-Timer’s Guide to Snowshoeing | Snowshoe Magazine
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I'm not sure. I mean the type Finns (and probably similar) use to get around in the far north. Long, thin skis which (IIRC) only attach to your foot in one point rather than with big ski-boots?
          I know the ones you mean. There's a number of folk walking with them through the park here. The back of the foot lifts off the ski with every step not like a ski boot at all. It all seems very graceful and effortless watching them glide along. I suspect they're quite fit. When the snow is gone the same people attach rollers to the skis!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            I've done that. It was fun - I just walked as the crow flies from point A to point B since the snow was deep enough to hide minor details like trees and fences. But also very knackering. Even as a fairly light (12st at the time) chap, you sink a foot or more if the snow is soft. Images of skipping across the top of the snow were replaced by a feeling of hiking across sand-dunes.

I'd do it again but the wife refuses, claiming we're on holiday!

Comment

Back in the post war days I learned langlauf in Norway at the British Outward Bound Centre, the place where Chris Bonnington was an instructor for a couple of years (long before I got there I might add). 5 glorious weeks learning to ski and climb at the taxpayers expense

Cross country is physically demanding if you don't already have a level of fitness although not too much so if the journey is short enough. Yes, you can just put one foot in front of the other and hope but I wouldn't recommend it. Also bear in mind that there are many different types of snow; Inuits have more than 100 words for different types and whilst that does not make much difference for downhill skiing where gravity is (mostly) your friend, cross country skis that are not waxed properly for the conditions are a nightmare.

There was an equipment development many years ago that used a fishscale pattern to enable uphill trekking but I don't know if kit is still made that way.

If there are any downhill or uphill stretches on your journeys, I would recommend learning properly first. Given the remoteness of many places even in southern parts of the Baltic countries and the propensity for an injury, it is more of a serious undertaking than that in perhaps some alpine or mainstream resorts.

Comment

About to go skiing in Scandinavia in s couple of weeks including cross-country skiing and have done it before.

As mentioned earlier its relatively easy to pick up and get around on flat ground and walking sort of pace.

It's when you want to go uphill, downhill or go faster that it gets a bit more interesting.

Matt

Comment

It can be quite strenuous. You'd probably be better off with snow-shoes.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    It can be quite strenuous. You'd probably be better off with snow-shoes a bus.
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X