• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thought for the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought for the day

If I have to cram a 17 year career into 2 pages, why can't recruiters cram the job ad into 2 pages?

It doesn't view well in the job serve app on an iPhone, and often doesn't add much to what could be a far far shorter description.

Also, why not put the deal breakers, such as "Must have at least 85 years solid OTC derivatives experience, be called Colin and live in Golders Green" at the top of the fecking spec

Some utter tulipe on the job boards today.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

One agency always sends me a picture of the job ad, embedded into an email.

Doesn't render too well on a phone, and I have no idea why they would bother to do that.

(I don't agree with the 2 page CV, for what it's worth)
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Doesn't render too well on a phone, and I have no idea why they would bother to do that.

I have now a menu of CVs for the likes of the hard of understanding.

I have one that is just BA stuff. Polarised lens on all BA stuff, as MFs feedback, no matter how cretinous is still feedback and he represents all future cretins who may look at my CV and fail to locate the BA stuff even if reading using a ruler under the lines and moving their lips while they read.

Then I have one for technical stuff. Again polarised lens.

Then I have minimised versions of each for fly by night spivs that can't afford me the courtesy of a 2 minute skim through.

Then on the off chance someone with a brain gets hold of it I have full length versions.

So I'm hoping I have now catered for all cretins, great and small.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

I'm not making this up, but I had a pimp on the phone just now complaining my CV was too terse at only 2 pages long.

No worries I said, here's the 8 page version. Much better, he said.

Comment

2 pages is clearly far too short.

8 pages makes it look like you need to mark every small piece of work you've ever done.

Personally I aim for between 3 and 4 pages. Once it gets beyond 4 I prune a bit back and remove the ancient stuff I would never want to go near again...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            I'm not making this up, but I had a pimp on the phone just now complaining my CV was too terse at only 2 pages long.

Can't you find some middle ground on the number of pages ?

2 seems a bit short and 8 appears quite large. Have you thought about reducing the font size

Comment

I've just this second updated mine to reflect the new expected contract end date - it's four pages long. I'm not cutting it any further than that, and I'll prune when it gets over that.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have now a menu of CVs for the likes of the hard of understanding.

I have one that is just BA stuff. Polarised lens on all BA stuff, as MFs feedback, no matter how cretinous is still feedback and he represents all future cretins who may look at my CV and fail to locate the BA stuff even if reading using a ruler under the lines and moving their lips while they read.

Then I have one for technical stuff. Again polarised lens.

Then I have minimised versions of each for fly by night spivs that can't afford me the courtesy of a 2 minute skim through.

Then on the off chance someone with a brain gets hold of it I have full length versions.

So I'm hoping I have now catered for all cretins, great and small.
                You came up with this after only 17 years ??

you'll go far young man

the further the better
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Did that include more former sites you had been at, and contact details?

No wonder he was pleased
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Did that include more former sites you had been at, and contact details?

No wonder he was pleased
                    My cv lists every gig

Comment

Working...
                    X