• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you one of the 70% who ARE NOT a "Hard working Family"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you one of the 70% who ARE NOT a "Hard working Family"

I just have to get this off my chest before I go mad

Since around the last election politicians seem obsessed with targetting the needs and wants of "Hard Working Families". Examining this curious statement for a minute how exactly do you measure whether a "Family" is "Hard Working". Do both members have to be in employment? What if one of them works really "Hard" but the other bums around in a Easy Life career and has 10 fag breaks a day? Anyway, this conundrum put aside lets go for some statistics -

First, definition of a Family (Oxford English)

"A group consisting of two parents and their children living together as a unit"

Now some actual numbers (Last UK Census)

Married Families With Dependent Children - 4.7m
    Cohabiting Couple Family with Dependent Children - 1.2m
    Lone Parent Family with Dependent Children - 1.9m

Some simple maths yields a Total number of voters part of "Hard working families" being roughy - 13.7m

In the last general election 45 Million people were elligable to vote.

So my question to Mr Cameron, Mr Milliband and all you other f&*kwits who KEEP BANGING ON ABOUT THEIR POLICIES TO HELP HARD WORKING F&*KING FAMILES is

What are you going to do for the other 31.3 Million (or 69.6%) of us who ARE NOT part of a hard F*^king "working family" which by the way is a completely made up piece of political wank demographic that is impossible to define anyway?

Maybe I should buck my ideas up as a moderaitely hard working cohabiting person with no dependent children to court the attention of the above mentioned political muppets!

Last edited by Contractoid; 21 January 2015, 21:12.

I'm just a hard working limited company at the moment. Suits me though
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I have no interest in working hard, and never have had. Why we should be expected to pander to the "needs" of those who are too dumb to find an easier way of living, I do not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        I have no interest in working hard, and never have had. Why we should be expected to pander to the "needs" of those who are too dumb to find an easier way of living, I do not understand.
        While in college I had one of the last conversations with my grandad who advised me to 'Think long and hard about where you want to go because its a long way to retirement and the last thing you want to do is work for a living'. I really didn't grasp it at the time, but he makes a good point!

Comment

I worked hard for over 30 years, very hard indeedy. Then I sort of broke through the pain barrier and now I am coasting

the guilt is terrible as I swig down my fourth can of ice cold fozzies and look forward to my 3 big holibags this year
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I made about £5000 on the CHF/GBP readjustment last week. No work involved there.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Don't even mention work. I feel ill even when I know of someone else is doing it.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

It's not about how long you spend doing it, it's about what you achieve during that time. If it takes some dumbell twice as long as you to do the same thing then why are they any more 'hard working'.

Comment

In the present instance, going back to the liver-pill circular, I had the symptoms, beyond all mistake, the chief among them being “a general disinclination to work of any kind.”

What I suffer in that way no tongue can tell. From my earliest infancy I have been a martyr to it. As a boy, the disease hardly ever left me for a day. They did not know, then, that it was my liver. Medical science was in a far less advanced state than now, and they used to put it down to laziness.

“Why, you skulking little devil, you,” they would say, “get up and do something for your living, can’t you?”—not knowing, of course, that I was ill.

And they didn’t give me pills; they gave me clumps on the side of the head. And, strange as it may appear, those clumps on the head often cured me—for the time being. I have known one clump on the head have more effect upon my liver, and make me feel more anxious to go straight away then and there, and do what was wanted to be done, without further loss of time, than a whole box of pills does now.

You know, it often is so—those simple, old-fashioned remedies are sometimes more efficacious than all the dispensary stuff.
                  - Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat Chapter One, 1889

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    It's not about how long you spend doing it, it's about what you achieve during that time. If it takes some dumbell twice as long as you to do the same thing then why are they any more 'hard working'.
                    I used exactly that same logic explaining to a thicko permie why it was able to leave at 5pm every day and still be in contract and well respected by the leadership team while he was a permie doing 12 hours a day to achieve the same output. He didn't get it.

Comment

Working...
                    X