• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beginners guide on hiring an accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginners guide on hiring an accountant

I am due to hire an accountant for my IT-contractor limited company to do all accounting work plus give good advice on all tax questions. Any clues on how to hire a good one for reasonable price and avoid a rubbish one? What are questions to ask? Any recommendations? Should accountant be available locally or would email and phone be enough? Or should I do everything on my own if it is straightforward? (then any links on DIY accounting welcome)

There are plenty of recommendations in http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-requests.html

If you're starting out, I wouldn't suggest a DIY approach.

Find one that you like the look of - speak to a few and see what you feel comfortable with. When I started, I looked at a few and then ended up with a local guy who was good, nice, and f***ing expensive. When the last bill came in at about £3k for the year (!!), I had a chat with InTouch, NW and SJD. I went with InTouch because I got the best feeling for them - there's nothing bad about the others, but I preferred InTouch.

Ask about what they can do for you, and why should you go with them - think of some scenarios and ask about them (eg. what salary to pay, share splits with spouse, etc.) Ask them how proactive they will be about giving advice - if you are new, then you'll need it (although that's what CUK is for!).

And if you go to InTouch - tell Louisa I sent you their way and we'll get some kind of goodie for the referral
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Ltd View Post
      I am due to hire an accountant for my IT-contractor limited company to do all accounting work plus give good advice on all tax questions. Any clues on how to hire a good one for reasonable price and avoid a rubbish one? What are questions to ask? Any recommendations? Should accountant be available locally or would email and phone be enough? Or should I do everything on my own if it is straightforward? (then any links on DIY accounting welcome)
      If you are operating outside of IR35, then you’re a contractor/ freelancer/company director running your own business– the way you receive remuneration is not run of the mill. Would you go to a cheap unqualified “solicitor” for legal advice? I would advise you to be prepared to pay to be looked after by a qualified Accountant who is experienced in the contractor accountancy sector. We have references on our website from clients - but would advise you to seek out other contractors for their recommendations before choosing an accountant to suit your needs.
      We deal with our clients by mainly email and telephone and don't have a problem with this.
      Graeme Bennett ACMA MBA

Comment

When I decided to go Limited I googled some local accountants and filled in the "contact us" form on their sites. Only one ever got back to me and that was several days later. I ended up using the accountant my recruitment agent put me in contact with because they were on the ball and contacted me promptly to discuss my requirements.

As it turned out it was convenient for me to go with a local accountant (well, city centre local, but local enough for me), because they set up the company address as their own office, and the bank sends all correspondence directly to them. I called in to their office to pick up stuff I'd need myself, such as cheque books and card readers for online banking, although they would have posted everything on to me.
        • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
        • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Cheap does not always = rubbish. I have a local with a small, professional practice that charges £600 ish plus extras if they are needed (like registered office etc) I do all the accounts, VAT and operational accounting (easily accomplished in Xero or one of the other online offerings). If you are unable or unwilling to do the operational stuff, then anything up to the full service is undoubtedly going to cost you more. What is important is that whoever you choose, you develop a good working relationship with them so that they know how much dialog you expect and about what subjects. This is very important to avoid the situation where they 'thought' you were going to do something and vice versa, then you get fined or worse for being late.

As others have said, read the recommendations sticky and either make your choice from there or ask for recommendations in your local area, I am sure you will find someone acceptable.

Comment

Do you have any friends/family that you trust who are contractors? Ask them who they use and whether they think they're good...or possibly just stick with them as they can't be bothered to change.

Face to face vs phone/email tends to be personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              Do you have any friends/family that you trust who are contractors? Ask them who they use and whether they think they're good...or possibly just stick with them as they can't be bothered to change.

Face to face vs phone/email tends to be personal preference.
              This. Personal recommendation always preferred to yellow pages/google search! Get a few and see which one you click with best. Test them out on a couple of questions and suss out their responses.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                And if you go to InTouch - tell Louisa I sent you their way and we'll get some kind of goodie for the referral
                Sheesh, you must be making a mint from this (I'd do the same, but I'm too lazy, and you're too fast anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Sheesh, you must be making a mint from this (I'd do the same, but I'm too lazy, and you're too fast anyway)
                  I'd recommend them anyway - if someone actually uses the referral (and I've only had two) then I can buy goodies. Last time, I bought two smoke detectors
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I'd recommend them anyway - if someone actually uses the referral (and I've only had two) then I can buy goodies. Last time, I bought two smoke detectors
                    Hey, there's no smoke without hire.

'cos he's wanting to hire an accountant and you..... oh, forget it.

Comment

Working...
                    X