• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Florida toddler fatally shoots himself with father's gun while parents load car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor bambino born to idiotic parents.

Florida toddler fatally shoots himself with father's gun while parents load car | US news | theguardian.com

Kaleb Ahles
    A two-year-old Florida boy died on Wednesday after accidentally shooting himself with his father’s .380 caliber handgun that he found in the family car.

The toddler, Kaleb Ahles, climbed into the front seat of the family’s vehicle while his parents carried boxes to move out of their home in Tarpon Springs, located about 30 miles north-west of Tampa.

Kaleb, alone in the car, crawled across the seat and found the gun that was stored in the glove compartment, sheriff Bob Gualtieri of the Pinellas County sheriff’s office said during a Wednesday evening press conference.

Kaleb then grabbed the gun, turned the barrel toward his chest, and squeezed the trigger, Gualtieri said.

His parents heard a loud “pop” and ran toward the car, deputies said. His mother, Christina Nigro, immediately began CPR while another family member who was there to help with the move called 911.

“It’s just one of those things that happens where everything lined up the wrong way, where we had a two-and-a-half year old that was able to take a gun, pick it up turn it around and he shot himself dead center in the middle of the chest,” Gualtieri said.

Deputies arrived at the home just before 5pm on Wednesday, and an ambulance rushed Kaleb to a nearby hospital,

At a press conference held in the family’s neighborhood, Gualtieri confirmed that the toddler had shot himself, and was not shot by someone else, the Miami Herald reported.

“He probably barely got the trigger pulled,” Gualtieri said.

The sheriff said it appears there was no wrongdoing, and the parents are not facing charges, saying that the parents have been punished enough by the loss of their son.

“It appears to be another tragic situation,” Gualtieri said. “It’s just one of those things that happens where everything happens the wrong way.”

Florida law requires gun owners to secure their loaded firearm in the presence of children younger than 16 years old. However, a person can only be held criminally liable if the minor accesses a gun and exhibits it in a public place, or brandishes it in a threatening or angry manner.

Detectives said the gun was secured in the glove department of the car.

Cecilia Barreda, a spokeswoman with the Pinellas County sheriff’s office, confirmed on Thursday that detectives were still investigating the incident, and the parents are, as of now, not facing charges.

The detectives “do believe the gun was stored properly,” Barreda said. She said additional details about the incident could not be provided at this time.

The child’s grandfather, a retired Tampa police detective also named Kevin Ahles, apparently drove to the scene immediately after learning of his grandson’s death.

“A great little kid was killed today,” he told the Miami Herald. “That’s all there is to say.”
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I'm surprised the trigger on a gun is light enough to be pulled by a two-year-old.

Also, I thought guns had safety switches to prevent them being fired accidentally.
    • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
    • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

How to sneak chocolate into an American cinema.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
        I'm surprised the trigger on a gun is light enough to be pulled by a two-year-old.

Also, I thought guns had safety switches to prevent them being fired accidentally.
        And also also a bullet already sitting in the chamber? At least it was probably very quick.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I had a boss in the US a few years back, who accidently left his 3month old baby in the back of his car in the child seat and then got the train in, it was only when his wife went to pick up the kid from Kinder garden 8hrs later they realised what happened, very sadly the baby didnt survive, he was looking at man slaughter charges but let off in the end.

Never thought I would hear from the guy again but within 6 months he was back in the office and I was having my daily calls with him, before he returned work I was made to talk to a psychologist to coach me of how to talk to him, what not to say, what to say and how to respond if he mentions it.
          I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Comment

Where's AtW when you need him?!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              And also also a bullet already sitting in the chamber? At least it was probably very quick.
              That's what I don't get (unless it was a revolver). I was watching onliveleak the other week an off-duty cop fumbling around trying to put his gun in his holster while chatting to someone - and accidentally shot himself in the leg.

Why was the weapon made ready? It's a 1 second job.

Comment

I can see the NRA's new advertising slogan.

"So easy to use a two year old can do it"
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If they weren't you wouldn't be very likely to hit anything when you do pull it.

Vast majority do, although kids are good an pushing buttons (they aren't child-safe, just accidental discharge safe - if you get my meaning).

Given that he felt it necessary to have a round chambered already, perhaps he thought that Texas Pete was going to out-draw him, and left it off to save time.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                    That's what I don't get (unless it was a revolver). I was watching onliveleak the other week an off-duty cop fumbling around trying to put his gun in his holster while chatting to someone - and accidentally shot himself in the leg.

Why was the weapon made ready? It's a 1 second job.
                    It is good practice to have an empty cylinder under the hammer in a double action revolver, then when the trigger is pulled the next cylinder rotates to be under the hammer before it falls. This way even a sharp knock on the hammer will not fire the gun. Many modern revolver's safety catches put a metal block between the hammer and the cylinder as well. I doubt a 2 year old could pull the trigger on one of these. An automatic is different, if you have it for self-defence and think you may need it in a hurry you wouldn't have the chamber empty, if you did you would need to cock the gun, pull the slide back and release it, before you could fire it.

I've never fired any gun, shotgun, rifle or handgun where the safety catch was difficult to use, so any 2 year old would be strong enough to move it to fire. My guess is that this gun was an automatic with a round in the chamber.

The parents must be guilty of at least manslaughter, there is no way any child should have access to any loaded firearm.
                    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                    X