• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Farewell Raymond Baxter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell Raymond Baxter

WW2 Spifire Pilot
    commentated on the Queen's coronation & Churchill's funeral
    Tomorrow's World 'white hot' technology showcase
    first hovercraft
    first flight of Concorde."
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

One of the very very very few pilots to shoot at V2 just as it was being launched... don't know if he blew it up though...

I'll never forget the live test of a bullet proof vest on Tomorrow's World... using a 44 magnum & a chap wearing said vest.

Don't somehow think they'd let you do that these days.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      One of the very very very few pilots to shoot at V2 just as it was being launched...
      Was at the launch site in Penemunde?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Was at the launch site in Penemunde?
        No. That's where they tested the prototypes.

They were launched in anger from the Western cost of the Netherlands, and a few from NW Germany.

I wouldn't fancy even Raymond Baxter's chances of flying a a Spit into Penemunde.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

I read recently that as well as the attacks on London and Antwerp(?) using V2 rockets, there was also an attack on Lowestoft.

Unfortunately no one noticed at the time because the accuracy of the weapon was so appalling that it missed every time.

Only came to light when records were analysed after the war.

Comment

Working...
          X