• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charity payment from company funds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity payment from company funds

Hi All,

Lets say myco (IT Contractor) has earned 40K in one year. Out of this if i want to pay lets say 5K to a registered charity, Can I pay it from my company accounts directly and consider it as expenses. Or do i have to transfer this to my accounts as dividends and then pay to the charity (of-course this also means my personal tax implication).

Also, same question for a non-registered charity e.g. if i want to pay (as gift) to some poor person, can I pay it using the company accounts and consider it as expenses.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by computerguru View Post
    Also, same question for a non-registered charity e.g. if i want to pay (as gift) to some poor person, can I pay it using the company accounts and consider it as expenses.
    The first bit was a reasonable enough question. That bit though,

Comment

Company donation to a registered charity - charity loses out on Gift Aid.
      Non registered charity (i.e. your mate) - just wrong on so many levels...

Good explanation here:
      http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...eductable.html

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/tax-limited-compa...arity/overview

Basically it lowers your corporation tax as it reduces your profit if you donate via a LTD company.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
          Company donation to a registered charity - charity loses out on Gift Aid.
          Non registered charity (i.e. your mate) - just wrong on so many levels...

Good explanation here:
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...eductable.html
          Charity doesn't need gift aid, as company donates gross, there is no tax to pay on LTD donating to registered charity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            The first bit was a reasonable enough question. That bit though,
            Sorry, why you think it is funny? I asked this for a reason. I know of a person who is ill and I would like to contribute some £££ for his healthcare. is there anything wrong/funny about it?

Comment

Sorry, why you think it is funny? I asked this for a reason. I know of a person who is ill and I would like to contribute some £££ for his healthcare. is there anything wrong/funny about it?
              Yep, you really shouldn't do it via the business. You can do it on a personal basis but the separate legal entity (your company) has to be treated as the emotionless professional legal entity it is supposed to be...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You can't just give some person money (no matter how sick or deserving they are) and treat it as a business expense, I'm a bit boggled how you think it could be possible.

If the person is a registered charity then it would be possible, but that's not an expense, that's a donation to a charity which is allowable and reduces your taxable profit.

Comment

You have also got to make sure you are not connected to the person/charity or gaining benefit from it in any way. Donating it to the local football club your son plays for won't wash etc.

Giving such a large chunk of your money looks extremely fishy IMO.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

As has been pointed out - giving a donation to a registered charity is fine. Giving money to a friend to pay for their healthcare - not tax deductible.

Comment

Working...
                    X