• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

where can i get free computer equipment companies get rid off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where can i get free computer equipment companies get rid off

as title really , how do i get hold of all the ex corporate equipment companies no longer want ?

any one here on contract getting shot of stuff ?

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
    as title really , how do i get hold of all the ex corporate equipment companies no longer want ?

any one here on contract getting shot of stuff ?
    Some companies use websites like Freecycle or Freegle.

Comment

Rather than pay for proper disposal of old computer equipment, the company I used to work for gave old PC's to its employees, who would either make use of them at home or dispose of them however they wished. I know I took a handful of PCs home at various times and freecycled them myself.

When the company needed to get rid of a lot of old equipment in bulk they called in a scrap metal dealer who took it all away on a truck. They definitely had a "don't replace it until it's physically broken" attitude.
      • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
      • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
        Rather than pay for proper disposal of old computer equipment, the company I used to work for gave old PC's to its employees, who would either make use of them at home or dispose of them however they wished
        I worked somewhere that did this, although they sold them for nominal prices (I think it went to charity though I'm not sure). I think I only got shot of the last one a year ago, that I paid £20 for.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Most companies can't give PCs away because they have to be safely shredded of confidential data. Of course with a live linux cd this could be done for free in 5 minutes, but the pointless IT managers would rather waste money paying an external company to do that and then sell it (I've bought a few ex-corp laptops this way, my fav lappie is an old IBM Thinkpad).
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

This has nothing to do with Linux Vs Windows. And would you really want someone that incompetent let loose on Linux
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
              Most companies can't give PCs away because they have to be safely shredded of confidential data.
              ^ Yep, this is the problem, nail on the head

Comment

What's a computer?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  This has nothing to do with Linux Vs Windows.
                  Funnily enough, nor does this.

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
                  ... Of course with a live linux cd this could be done for free in 5 minutes...
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I've had several clients raise this question over years, one even intended to fit out a bunch of local schools ICT labs with their replaced kit, all was good until this got scotched by their legal department pointing out they would still have liabilities unless the kit is sold.

Comment

Working...
                    X