• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decent sturdy four wheel drive for under about £12K

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decent sturdy four wheel drive for under about £12K

After my second puncture on pothole-ridden country roads, and numerous narrow escapes from rustic and/or aged and/or over the limit maniacs driving full pelt the other way, I'm thinking of going for a four-wheel drive vehicle like a Landrover or Range Rover or some such 4 wheel drive model.

Any ideas and recommendations for sites that would sell something suitable? I'd prefer a high mileage old knockabout which has extra springy suspension, and a high draft, and on which the odd extra ding or slight dent doesn't matter a fig, the kind of thing a farmer would use and not worry about leaving it in a muddy yard.

The Toyota Landcruiser looks OK, although the ones I see advertised for sale look worryingly new and well-looked after, which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid!

Also, the 2 litre engine on the cheaper used Toyotas don't seem large enough - I'd be happier with a 3 litre engine, which could get me up hills with no trouble.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

What about a pick up. L200 or somesuch. Put it through the company and get the vat back.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
      What about a pick up. L200 or somesuch. Put it through the company and get the vat back.
      You mean a bit like the one that redneck drove in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles?

Hmnm, sounds like a possibility, although I might prefer a four (or more) seater with back seats that fold down.

But I'll search for L200. For reference are there any other reliable and not too expensive models?

Thanks for the prompt reply BTW.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I have a very very low miles '09 Rexton w/ 2.7L Diesel sitting on my drive. Its valued about £6000 but the wife will let you have it for £7,500. It even has a Low/High transfer box for those times you actually end up in a muddy field.

By low miles I'm talking 9989 real miles. Never has a woman spent £1000pa on a vehicle which is never used.

Please end my pain!
        Last edited by lilelvis2000; 26 January 2015, 19:03.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Get a turbo Forester. Proper 4wd, tough as old boots, utterly reliable and quick enough to leave a Golf GTi behind...

If you want diesel and an estate body, the L200 shares it's chassis with older editions of the Outlander and there's plenty of them around.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Get a turbo Forester. Proper 4wd, tough as old boots, utterly reliable and quick enough to leave a Golf GTi behind...

If you want diesel and an estate body, the L200 shares it's chassis with older editions of the Outlander and there's plenty of them around.
            Yep that's a interesting suggestion.

Some other possibles (for less than £12K) with grunty diesel.

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 3.0 CRD
            Volkswagen TOUAREG V6 TDI

Or if you want to scare people in small cars:

JEEP COMMANDER 3.0CRD Limited 5dr 4WD

Comment

I always wanted one of these!

Comment

I have a 2002 3.5 Isuzu Trooper Citation 7 seater auto, only 72k so far. Unfortunately they don't make them any more. I chose that model because the loggers in the US use them and they regularly report use of over 450k and still going strong. Cost me about 15k when it was a year old - it had already lost over 10k dep. So far the only things I have done are 1 set of tyres, 1 exhaust, timing belt at 60k and the head gasket, front and back brake pads and 1 shocker. Not bad for 12 years...I suspect it will rust and fall to pieces before it dies.

If you're not all about the flash, look at one of the current models. If you want it so people bounce off you, it does the job well.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

It's not a four wheel drive... but what the hell, it's a contractor forum right? Why get 4 wheel drive when you get 6 -

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

No joke, they have power steering that's so light you have NO idea which way the wheels are facing. Unstoppable, though

Comment

Working...
                    X