• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview via Skype - Anyone had one of these ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview via Skype - Anyone had one of these ?

I have just been asked if I can have an interview over skype.

I must admit that I couldn't as I did not have an account, web camera or microphone.

Maybe it is something I should look into.

Has anyone else had an interview / meeting using skype?

If I buy a web camera, microphone and get a skype account how do I know if it all working if I do not know anyone else with skype?

Yes, I've had Skype interviews. I prefer them for initial interviews.

There is a test user within Skype that allows you to test your audio/video setup.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Skype is free. You can log in with any sort of Microsoft account (hotmail, live.com, outlook.com, MSDN etc) or you can create one for free.

Most laptops these days have an inbuilt webcam and microphone (check for a small black lens in the top/middle of the screen - if you've got one then it should have both). Otherwise pop town to Argos/PC World etc and get one with a built in microphone for £10 or so.

Skype also allows you to test video/audio during the setup process.

Part of your new role will be about tackling challenges and finding solutions...
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Yes, I've had Skype interviews. I prefer them for initial interviews.

There is a test user within Skype that allows you to test your audio/video setup.
        Thanks.

I think that I will have to look into this and get some hardware.
        A skype interview would have been better than driving to Southampton from Bristol for a face to face. Though I do quite like visiting a potential site as it means that I can check the place out.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Skype is free. You can log in with any sort of Microsoft account (hotmail, live.com, outlook.com, MSDN etc) or you can create one for free.

Most laptops these days have an inbuilt webcam and microphone (check for a small black lens in the top/middle of the screen - if you've got one then it should have both). Otherwise pop town to Argos/PC World etc and get one with a built in microphone for £10 or so.

Skype also allows you to test video/audio during the setup process.

Part of your new role will be about tackling challenges and finding solutions...
          Thank you. Kick up the arse welcome. I will sort myself out then with some new hardware (toys).

Comment

Next version of Lync will be Skype for Business so get used to it!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
              Thank you. Kick up the arse welcome. I will sort myself out then with some new hardware (toys).
              And if you get an away from home gig, you can use your new hardware to pass long lonely evenings on Chatroulette
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                You might look into buying some lubes to go with the toys then

Comment

Had two like these, horrible experience, pimp forced me to create a skype account I said I had a messenger account and Google account and wanted to use one of these. (this was pre microsoft-Skype merger) (got an offer in both cases though and both rejected them).
                  After that because of Skype my PC kept crashing, so I had to deinstall it

Comment

I've done Skype call, but not video. The people that I work with at the moment all use video call, but that doesn't add anything (apart from knowing that they are at least dressed) - I use my desktop machine with no camera, so unless they want to pay for one I'm not bothering.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X