• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IP Address Logging

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP Address Logging

I was just browsing a site and it showed me my IP Address from my local machine. I know that sites record the IP address of the internet provider I am using but how come it showed my local machine.

I am assuming this was actually a client site script and that if I was to click the submit button on the page it would actually record my ip address, but can it do this without me pressing a button - and if it can show my ip address, then surely it could see the contents of my hard drive.

If so then surely surfing into a page you could use a script to show a tulip load of info about a users machine and if they were stupid enough to press a button on the screen, then surely you could submit shedloads of information.

ATW? Answers please.

This is the link Off button click - I was following a link off the tattoo thread in Light - Honest
    Last edited by MarillionFan; 16 September 2006, 14:01.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Java applets can read local ip and some browsers can report it in the UA headers.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

I can understand it coming from an applet not from a script.
      But if its coming from an applet then this means I must had spyware on my machine.Which I dont!

Comment

A java applet can load almost completely undetectably and read machine information (not much but enough to identify the machine), then report the data back to the web server by filling in form fields.

It may be spyware that is unregistered.

Your local IP address isn't exactly security critical anyway unless your firewall is ancient and has that old NAT traversal bug.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

AtW

hth

Comment

Come on ATW. You're the web expert, click on the link and tell me how it's doing it - cause I cant see it.

Anyway I have Java turned off on my machine.

Comment

I do not see anything unusual on that page: I use FireFox.

Comment

No click the button, then it shows your ip address. But I cannot see how.

Im interested now from a programming aspect.

Comment

I do not see any IP address, can you make a screenshot and point where exactly it should appear? IMO you are just high on erasable markers...

Comment

Shows this at the bottom

'365BILL.COM EMPOWERM *Empowerm' will appear on your cardholder statement

Your IP address <122.149.13.127> is logged for fraud prevention

Click Here for Payment Support

Still cannot see how its doing it. I have disabled everything.
                    Last edited by MarillionFan; 16 September 2006, 19:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X