• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunrise care homes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunrise care homes

Off to see one with mother this afternoon.

Anyone got/had an elderly relative in one? Any experiences to pass on?

Is that the one based in Switzerland ? my cousins put dear Uncle Bertie in one last year - not heard much from him since
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Is that the one based in Switzerland ? my cousins put dear Uncle Bertie in one last year - not heard much from him since
      Now there's an idea!

Comment

The Father-in-Law is in a BUPA dementia home. We're very pleased with the way he's looked after. The food is decent, it's nice and comfortable and the staff interact and arrange lots of activities. It's certainly not a waiting room for the dying like some places. Happy to discuss in more detail if people want to PM me.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          The Father-in-Law is in a BUPA dementia home. We're very pleased with the way he's looked after. The food is decent, it's nice and comfortable and the staff interact and arrange lots of activities. It's certainly not a waiting room for the dying like some places. Happy to discuss in more detail if people want to PM me.
          Cheers - this one does look very nice - popped in yesterday lunchtime for a quick shufti. Hoping she thinks so too! V difficult in terms of cost - they haven't given me any figures yet, but a quick google suggests 800-1k per week. So she's probably got enough dosh/assets (although not sure how liquid they are) to see her through 4-5 years. She's currently in very poor health, but awaiting a heart op which, if successful, could make her a lot better. Don't want to have to move her if the money does run out...
          Last edited by mudskipper; 31 January 2015, 12:57.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Cheers - this one does look very nice - popped in yesterday lunchtime for a quick shufti. Hoping she thinks so too! V difficult in terms of cost - they haven't given me any figures yet, but a quick google suggests 800-1k per week. So she's probably got enough dosh/assets (although not sure how liquid they are) to see her through 4-5 years. She's currently in very poor health, but awaiting a heart op which, if successful, could make her a lot better. Don't want to have to move her if the money does run out...
            I was watching this topic on BBC's Breakfast programme this week.

They were saying that you needed advice to help with this decision.

Take a look here.

Care calculator launched by BBC - BBC News
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I was watching this topic on BBC's Breakfast programme this week.

They were saying that you needed advice to help with this decision.

Take a look here.

Care calculator launched by BBC - BBC News
              OK, that's interesting. Basically need to get her assessed as high needs I guess. Will try and arrange it for when she's got a UTI - she goes completely then!

Home was lovely - shown around by a young woman who was the general manager. She seemed to have time for everyone. I was particularly touched when we walked past a lady who had presumably been upset about something. "Are you feeling better now, Margaret?" she asked and plonked a kiss on her head. I heard Margaret whisper back "I do love you". I thought that said a lot about the place. Another big plus is that all there staff are permanent, so know the residents. They haven't yet needed to use temps in 7 years. I'd have happily checked her in there and then. Mum seems quite impressed but not sure she wants to move in "yet".

Comment

I heard Margaret whisper back "I do love you". I thought that said a lot about the place.
                I think it says they pay actors to pretend to be residents when touting for new business....

Comment

I'd have happily checked her in there and then.
                  FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    I think it says they pay actors to pretend to be residents when touting for new business....
                    Yeah, I reckon Margaret gets extra treats if she says I love you whenever they're showing prospective residents around.

Comment

Working...
                    X