• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Evasion/ Avoidance Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Evasion/ Avoidance Question

Hi,

Hoping someone can advise.

A friend of mine has recently realised that he has been a 'numpty' and avoided/ evaded tax around 8 years ago to the amount of £4000 (he was naive in his youth). It was something to do with paying less stamp duty than he should have when buying a house. Now he has found out, he wants to own up to it (potentially through the Contractual Disclosure Facility (CDF) if that's the right mechanism).

The question is, once he owns up to it, will he still be able to be a Director of his company and ultimately still contract?

Last edited by busgrw; 1 February 2015, 19:07.

Originally posted by busgrw View Post
    Hi,

A friend of mine has recently realised that he has been a 'numpty' and avoided/ evaded tax around 8 years ago to the amount of £4000 (he was naive in his youth). It was something to do with paying less stamp duty than he should have when buying a house. Now he has found out, he wants to own up to it (potentially through the Contractual Disclosure Facility (CDF) if that's the right mechanism).

The question is, once he owns up to it, will he still be able to be a Director of his company and ultimately still contract?

Any advise would be appreciated.

so 'your friend' had a change of heart after 8 years? why?

Comment

Hi,

Any advise would be appreciated.

Your friend is dumb. Let sleeping dogs lie.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I sense an SC questionnaire looming...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I sense an SC questionnaire looming...
          What is an SC questionnaire?

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
            so 'your friend' had a change of heart after 8 years? why?
            Honestly, nothing more than a better understanding of what he had done. He bought when he was very young and didn't know what he was doing. Now, he understands a bit more about the law, he is looking to rectify the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Your friend is dumb. Let sleeping dogs lie.
              Not sure he would sleep well himself if he did that.

Comment

Not sure he would sleep well himself if he did that.
                I'd sleep a damn well better with the 4k in my bank than wasted by HMRC.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I'm curious to know how your, um, "friend" managed to avoid paying the full stamp duty when property transactions are usually handled by a solicitor.

Presumably you, sorry _he_ (or she), made an extra undeclared side payment.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    I'm curious to know how your, um, "friend" managed to avoid paying the full stamp duty when property transactions are usually handled by a solicitor.

Presumably you, sorry _he_ (or she), made an extra undeclared side payment.
                    My guess would be a reduced purchase price with an (artificially) inflated charge for fixings and fittings.

Comment

Working...
                    X