• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The elusive second contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The elusive second contract

Having successfully completed my 1st gig I was told to expect the 2nd one to be harder to come by. After 20 years as a permie I'm really struggling to come to terms with a period of time on the bench having tried hard in the last few weeks to source a contract to move straight into.

I have a war chest & a supportive family but I almost feel guilty at having nowhere to go tomorrow morning!

I want to make a long term success of my limited company without the need to return to perm work. Who else has experienced this and what advice would you give?

Go out and have a walk tomorrow.

Stop thinking like a permie.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Being out of contract is a different concept to being out of work.
      It does take some adjusting.

One way to look at it is that you are always working and sometimes earning.
      Though that just seems depressing.

During prolonged periods of non earning I find that it helps to be active first thing.
      i.e. jog, breakfast, cycle, contract search.

The worst think to do is to get into an "unemployed state" where everything is too much trouble.

On a positive note, my last contract finished in April 2014 and the extended gap only seems to have made a difference to some agents. It has not really affected the interest from end clients.

It does help though to have had something that you were doing - i.e. building work.

Good luck and take Cojak's advice.

Comment

Thanks. All makes perfect sense

Comment

I had my first bench time at the end of last year, 4 weeks with nothing whatsoever. I found getting up properly every morning to be sat on the laptop by 9am helped me stay focussed.

Don't be afraid to enjoy some downtime, but as above, don't ever fall into feeling unemployed.

Also, try and remember that this may be your only time off for a bit!

Comment

As soon as you find something meaningful to occupy your time the phone rings.

When you've bag your next contract, start searching for the 3rd contract on day 1 of the 2nd.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

For the first few years treat these gaps as your holidays. Let the family know that when work appears you wont be around to take formal holidays.
              The penny will drop when you explain that that £2k break in Spain will actually cost 5k and maybe a contract or extension.

Spend the morning looking for contracts, the afternoon playing games and drinking.
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Great advice. It all sounds so obvious but it's good to hear it from others who can relate

Comment

Working...
                X