• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Sound Of Song

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sound Of Song

BBC Four, last three weeks. Anyone watch it ?

Catalogued the history of recorded music from the beginning too recent(ish) times.

Interesting stuff. Didn't realise multi track tape was so 'recent' and magnetic tape in general would have taken a lot longer of come about but for Bing Crosby !
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

I've been watching it. Great stuff. I loved the story of Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska". It's interesting that some bands (Nirvana) sound better when just recorded, and others need to be produced to get a good sound.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I missed this series but knowing BBC4 it'll be repeated soon. Or I could get with the times and watch it on iPlayer on my phone while piggybacking on the totally open wireless internet of the company just down the corridor.
      • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
      • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        What's impressed me is the speed at which mag tape went from single track mono 1/4" to 24 tracks on 2" tape, then 48 tracks on synched recorders.
        Classic case of letting a bunch of talented engineers loose with a new technology and a mandate to see what they can come up with. The music business has innovated a fair bit, I think it's all the enthusiasts and whizzbang odd ideas that go with the creative natures.
        Having worked with mainframes in my distant past and spent more than a few hours inside their tape drives it's clear some serious engineering time went into that technology too (related possibly?).

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Having worked with mainframes in my distant past and spent more than a few hours inside their tape drives it's clear some serious engineering time went into that technology too (related possibly?).
          Mmmm, tape cleaner fluid
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
          X