• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency X -> Agency Y -> Consultancy -> EndClientCo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency X -> Agency Y -> Consultancy -> EndClientCo

Hi fellow contractors,
    I was contacted by an agency to work for EndClientCo (on a much lower rate than I have been working for the last few contracts)
    They never mentioned Agency Y & Consultancy were involved in the middle.
    They sent me a basic disclosure form to fill up and only there they had asked for my 'consent' to submit my disclosure certificate to Agency Y working for Consultancy.

Can this be construed as Agency X trying to get me under their 'direction & control' to work for whoever they want me to?

Much as I want to work for EndClientCo (fairly prestigious name in their sector), I would much rather avoid Agency Y -> Consultancy and preferably also Agency X for trying to play a fast one.

Any advice on how to progress with this?

Long story short, your looking to remove 3 parties from the chain and go direct for a better rate in the flimsiest of pretenses ?

Good luck with that

Comment

Originally posted by yetanotherbob View Post
      Can this be construed as Agency X trying to get me under their 'direction & control' to work for whoever they want me to?
      Clutching at straws.

Agency Y -> Consultancy and preferably also Agency X for trying to play a fast one.

Any advice on how to progress with this?
      Accept the contract, or don't - the agency found you, why should they be cut out now?

Is it ideal to have that many links in the chain, of course not. More failure points, more possible delay points, and of course, either your cut is smaller than it could be OR you are mega-expensive to the end client because of all those in the chain.

And what "fast one" have they played exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        Clutching at straws.

Accept the contract, or don't - the agency found you, why should they be cut out now?

Is it ideal to have that many links in the chain, of course not. More failure points, more possible delay points, and of course, either your cut is smaller than it could be OR you are mega-expensive to the end client because of all those in the chain.

And what "fast one" have they played exactly?
        Fair point - Agency X deserves to be in the chain. 'playing a fast one' probably wasn't the right phrase to use. But just seemed like they withheld information about the whole chain and that makes a material difference here.
        Will probably let this one go though, only because of the long chain. Bench clock ticking in the meantime..

Comment

Fair point - Agency X deserves to be in the chain. 'playing a fast one' probably wasn't the right phrase to use. But just seemed like they withheld information about the whole chain and that makes a material difference here.
          Will probably let this one go though, only because of the long chain. Bench clock ticking in the meantime..
          Withheld information? Maybe, maybe not.

They got you an interview, you agreed a rate you were happy with, and now, what??

If you had known about the other 2, what would you have done? Refused the contract?

Comment

If you were at least somewhat happy with the rate to agree to an interview/representation in the first place and the only reason to drop now is the long chain - enjoy the bench time, with attitude like you are likely to stay there for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              If you were at least somewhat happy with the rate to agree to an interview/representation in the first place and the only reason to drop now is the long chain - enjoy the bench time, with attitude like you are likely to stay there for a while.
              Not quite. I have an alternative offer and multiple leads - just that the second confirmed offer has a longer commute.
              So initially I would have taken up the lower rate for the lower commute. But considering i'm likely to cost the end client a lot, I would prefer the slightly longer commute.

Comment

It doesn't matter what you cost the end end-client if they are happy to pay it.

I've been in that arrangement before. The end-client was aware of it and the costs for each company in the chain. Simply as they didn't want contractors leaving complaining of low rates.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  It doesn't matter what you cost the end end-client if they are happy to pay it.

I've been in that arrangement before. The end-client was aware of it and the costs for each company in the chain. Simply as they didn't want contractors leaving complaining of low rates.
                  I also think the biggest misconception that people have is that you're suddenly going to get in on that huge cut if you go direct.

Comment

Working...
                  X