• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Lease, Can I claim back VAT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there,

I'm a director of my own limited company in which I employ myself as a contractor.

I currently claim mileage back on my car which is privately owned.

I plan to employ my wife as my accountant in the next 2 months (basic book keeping and sales ledger etc).

I'm also in the final stages of setting up a 24 month car lease for my wife to use.

Can I claim back the VAT on the monthly payments for this extra vehicle?

Thanks

It really isn't hard to Google some of this stuff.

VAT reclaim is 50%: https://www.gov.uk/reclaim-vat/cars

Have you considered the personal tax (BIK) implications of providing a company car?

Comment

if your flat rate, then no, as a lease is not classed as an asset.

Comment

This is either the worst sockie we've had for ages or the thickest poster we've had for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by StuartMcNicholas View Post
          Hi there,

I'm a director of my own limited company in which I employ myself as a contractor.

I plan to employ my wife as my accountant in the next 2 months (basic book keeping and sales ledger etc).

I'm also in the final stages of setting up a 24 month car lease for my wife to use.

Thanks
          Why don't you ask your acco...oh.

Comment

Hi there,
            Yo...

No, you don't. You are an officer and shareholder of YourCo, not an employee.

Fair enough for business miles only of course...

OK, not a problem, I trust you won't be taking advantage of her and making her do too many hours.

Does her level of work justify the equivalent salary that this represents? Does she need a car for business use? Have you considered the personal tax implications that this BIK represents? Have you ever heard of the Ramsay principle?

IF you're on FRS, no otherwise yes.

Thanks
            You're welcome.

But perhaps get your own car rather than cheating the tax system to pay for it, eh?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

A company car is rarely tax efficient. If the car is provided to your wife, as your wife, then you'd be taxed on the BIK. If its provided to your wife, as an employee, then she'd be taxed on it, unless her income (incl the BiK) is less than £8.5k. But, for this to be allowable, then it needs to be a justifiable business expense. Is the whole package (salary, car etc) market rate? I doubt it tbh. Or to put it differently, would you offer the same package to somebody who wasn't your wife? I doubt that too.

The Ramsay Principle would come into play here. Which is to say that if arrangements are made solely to save tax, rather than for genuine commercial benefit, then the whole arrangement should be taxed.

There are better ways to save tax - one of which might be to engage an accountant as your accountant, not your wife.

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks
                Ah bless! Dont you just love these noobies who've heard all these stories you can put everything through your limited co and get the taxman to pay for your wife's new car, weekends away in posh hotels with her to talk 'business strategy' etc, etc?
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                  Ah bless! Dont you just love these noobies who've heard all these stories you can put everything through your limited co and get the taxman to pay for your wife's new car, weekends away in posh hotels with her to talk 'business strategy' etc, etc?
                  You mean I shouldn't be doing those things?
                  Shame.
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Yo...

No, you don't. You are an officer and shareholder of YourCo, not an employee.
                    Agree with most of your post but surely if he is paid a salary from HisCo then he is an employee?

Comment

Working...
                    X