• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big trouble in little Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big trouble in little Europe

BBC News - Ukraine crisis: Nato to bolster Eastern Europe against Russia

Nato is set to announce details of a plan to bolster the alliance's military presence in Eastern Europe in response to continued fighting in Ukraine.
    However, in other news http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...diers-mariupol

And yet the tanks are already rolling in Ukraine "Truce"? Tanks Are Rolling In Poland As NATO Plans Permanent Eastern European Bases | Zero Hedge

And as the Grexit looms large the ECB just flexed it's muscles BBC News - European Central Bank toughens its stance on Greece

Now I'm not convinced there will be a Grexit, but I am looking at the eurozone as a whole and seeing massive destabilisation.

Britain is therefore highly likely to get spattered when the tulipe does finally hit the rotating cooling implement.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

The out of my face soldier was a Brit, his Twitter page was about but was pulled.

Comment

Anyone who would think we (As in US, Americans and the West in general) don't have Special Forces troops all over the place in these conflicts is insane. Like that time a bunch of SAS lads were picked up in Libya with a variety of passports!

It's what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        The out of my face soldier was a Brit, his Twitter page was about but was pulled.
        A Brit that works for NATO.

HTH

Comment

Interesting developments.

I hope Merkel, Hollande and Putin make some sensible progress tomorrow - although Washington will no doubt push for more agggression and escalation.

With the possible Grexit and Russian offer of financial help to Greece the game does seem to be opening up a bit..

How much more pain can the EU endure from carrying out America's agenda - both economically and now militarily?...

Are the cracks beginning to show?
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

(a) The West should not have supported the overthrow of a democratically elected govt. in Ukraine, no matter how corrupt it was.

(b) The power hungry EU has been pushing its borders closer and closer to Moscow for years. They now "own" most of the former USSR satellites. They are wrong to do that. Ukraine in particular was a useful buffer between east and west, now the buffer has gone.

(c) As well as making the Russians nervous, EU expansion eastwards has folded in many small countries, throwing the European economy off balance and leading to mass movements of people.

Putin is nothing more than a KGB tyrant, but the West/EU is primarily to blame for the current snafu.

Rant on !!!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              (a) The West should not have supported the overthrow of a democratically elected govt. in Ukraine, no matter how corrupt it was.

(b) The power hungry EU has been pushing its borders closer and closer to Moscow for years. They now "own" most of the former USSR satellites. They are wrong to do that. Ukraine in particular was a useful buffer between east and west, now the buffer has gone.

(c) As well as making the Russians nervous, EU expansion eastwards has folded in many small countries, throwing the European economy off balance and leading to mass movements of people.

Putin is nothing more than a KGB tyrant, but the West/EU is primarily to blame for the current snafu.

Rant on !!!
              A good summary. How do you see this playing out in say the short, mid and long terms?

Comment

Quite a good take on the situation in Greece here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84j6DzzzyK8
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Here's another take -= this time with eye candy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAYk8W7Jv3s

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    Anyone who would think we (As in US, Americans and the West in general) don't have Special Forces troops all over the place in these conflicts is insane.
                    It's what they do.
                    Absolutely right. Friend of mine in the UK army spent a good few months last year in Kiev.

Comment

Working...
                    X