• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stuff I want but can't bring myself to buy just yet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff I want but can't bring myself to buy just yet

Might be interesting for people to reply with some of the expensive stuff they want to buy, but have held off for the moment.

My list is perhaps modest compared to some. But I might get some great money-wasting ideas from your replies
    • iPad Air 2, because the old iPad is getting a bit slow. But I barely use it anyway
    • Expensive D/A converter for my Hi Fi (I'm using an Airport Express ATM and it works fine and sounds pretty good)
    • New telly, nothing fancy, but the old one is still plenty good enough, so I don't need a new telly
    • Fully loaded Mac Mini, I like the idea of hooking it into the telly and using as as a media hub for watching downloaded content, but I can do all that with what I already have
    • Upgrade 2 of my monitors to Dell Ultrasharp, but the ones I have are pretty much ok already

This adds up to about £5k, none of which I need, but I'm finding it hard to resist, esp. the new telly

EDIT:
    plus a Canon 7D mk II
    Last edited by Platypus; 5 February 2015, 18:13.

More importantly what does Mrs Playpus have to say about this list?

If she is OK with it then it's a no brainer. Sell your old stuff to the company to release some of your funds cheaply. Buy all the new stuff through the company for a 20% discount and getting more money out tax efficiently (i.e. not coming of your personal divi) and get it on a single invoice so claim VAT back.

Tons of free stoof!!

You know it makes sense.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Where would the world be if people didn't buy what they didn't need?

You realise you can probably have all those things this time tomorrow with nothing more than the digits from your credit card?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        More importantly what does Mrs Playpus have to say about this list?

If she is OK with it then it's a no brainer. Sell your old stuff to the company to release some of your funds cheaply. Buy all the new stuff through the company for a 20% discount and getting more money out tax efficiently (i.e. not coming of your personal divi) and get it on a single invoice so claim VAT back.

Tons of free stoof!!

You know it makes sense.
        The only thing that doesn't make sense about your post is the "Mrs Platypus" .... there's a GF Platypus, but no Mrs

Apart from that, great advice, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          The only thing that doesn't make sense about your post is the "Mrs Platypus" .... there's a GF Platypus, but no Mrs

Well in that case, if you really want to blow some cash...

Comment

Consider a new 3D projector instead of Telly

Go large

Comment

Upgrade 2 of my monitors to Dell Ultrasharp, but the ones I have are pretty much ok already
              Worth it

I'd like a Jaguar F-Type R, but it's not remotely justifiable. Some things are better imagined than actually done.

Comment

Here's my list:
                • New bathroom
                • New kitchen
                • A 240-litre fully loaded marine aquarium, with corals and lots of brightly coloured fish
                • Upgrade the PC to an intel processor, which means new motherboard and might as well get bigger SSD and new GPU while I'm at it, for the only reason that even though with an SSD my current PC takes two minutes to boot and I want somethign that boots faster. Oh, and maybe something that'll let me put shaders on Minecraft
                • A German car, even though they're probably identical to their non-German counterparts
                • A tattoo, but never decided on what I want
                • A wedding - been engaged for just over a year now
                • A motorbike, for commuting through traffic jams

The wedding should probably be higher on the list, thinking about it!
                • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
                • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

I have a feeling when 5k of nice to haves turn up that situation will come up for serious discussion lol.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
                    • A wedding - been engaged for just over a year now

The wedding should probably be higher on the list, thinking about it!
                    Only a year - plenty of time yet.

I was engaged for four years before I got married - we'd set a five year plan and were early.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X