• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie "Job security" is a myth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie "Job security" is a myth

Just witnessed 6 permies being served notice. 30 days and they are gone.

Rough combined experience with the firm about 60-70 years.

Probably 2-3 of them have marketable / relevant IT skills.

Being replaced with a Consultancy with a rough 1:5 on/offshore split.

Crying shame, but adds more fuel to fire of why contracting is great. It kind of forces you to stay relevant and makes you think about your Warchest like you never would as a permie.

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
    Just witnessed 6 permies being served notice. 30 days and they are gone.

Rough combined experience with the firm about 60-70 years.

Probably 2-3 of them have marketable / relevant IT skills.

Being replaced with a Consultancy with a rough 1:5 on/offshore split.

Crying shame, but adds more fuel to fire of why contracting is great. It kind of forces you to stay relevant and makes you think about your Warchest like you never would as a permie.
    mmm 1:5 on/offshore split. that's not very helpful all round is it?

In the next 15 years the UK could be outsourced!!!

Comment

We should outsource the ******* politicians. Twats

Comment

When that company changes IT director they will onshore but find it difficult to get the relevant skills.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          When that company changes IT director they will onshore but find it difficult to get the relevant skills.
          Relax! We'll be there to fill the gap, for a reasonable fee...

Comment

Well it's not like they're fully insulated from the risk of being terminated, as their performance and their corresponding roles have to be commercially viable, after all. Near absolute job security is more of a public sector thing, and even then it's not 100%, nor should it be. It's just that the things end clients engage contractors for have a shorter or unspecified shelf life, where the flexibility is worth paying for.

Comment

Job security is indeed an illusion. It may have existed once, though it was more in the form of having no option but to stay where you were once you were in; but even then, I don't believe it was as widespread as people like to remember.

I find it almost impossible to understand the permie mindset. Then again, I never had it even when I was one. Embracing the uncertainty of life is liberating

Comment

Someone said to me once: "The only job security is to have an in-demand skill".

Contractors have more security in a way as at least you know when your job is likely to end.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  What they normally do, have seen this at least three times now, they onshore all the Indians into the UK

Comment

above a certain level in permie dom every single person knows there is no such thing as job security

Mainly because they see changes/cuts going on in the company and often the biggest cost is salary costs and so people will be chopped.

There are some people who do just turn up to work each day and sit around trying to do as little as possible but again those people do not really climb the greasy pole

Do you think the team mentioned in the OP's post were really doing a good job or do you think they had got lazy, complacent and difficult to deal with?

From experience I can pretty much guarantee I know the answer cos I have seen it time and time again

Again above a certain level job security is often down to performance.

Comment

Working...
                    X