• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to ditch PCG/IPSE?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to ditch PCG/IPSE?

Accountant has a group scheme with Abbey Tax for £95; cover seems to be the same as the PCG one (i.e. wording is the same).

Accountant also offers contract review "for free as long as it isn't too often".

I do have the Randall Dorling PI insurance; after the PCG discount I am paying nearly £500pa (for £2 Million PI cover plus EL and PL).

I am aware that other insurance companies exist.

Had a strange member survey from IPSE the other day; quite a few of the questions seemed to be about whether I was feeling aggrieved at the loss of employee-type benefits (pension, gym membership, discounted Krispy Kremes etc.); leading me to think that PCG is not what it was a decade ago when I was first a member. The move into flogging financial services from Aegon is a strange one too, it seems like they are trying to transform into some kind of security blanket for people who wish they were permies.

Is it time to throw in the towel, or are there some other benefits I'm missing?

Disregarding the lobbying and representation for the whole sector, if you can get this lot for £95 a year -- or even cover for any vaguely tax-related investigation rather than just IR35 - then go for it. And they are aiming to provide a cradle to grave support service for contractors, hence (heavily discounted) pension funding, detail contract reviews (again, not just the IR35 bit) and the rest.

The survey looks a little weird, I agree, but it's for a purpose.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The survey is extremely weird - I completed it making it clear I had no interest in the permie type benefits.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Disregarding the lobbying and representation for the whole sector, if you can get this lot for £95 a year -- or even cover for any vaguely tax-related investigation rather than just IR35 - then go for it. And they are aiming to provide a cradle to grave support service for contractors, hence (heavily discounted) pension funding, detail contract reviews (again, not just the IR35 bit) and the rest.

The survey looks a little weird, I agree, but it's for a purpose.
        If the pension scheme is that great will you be signing up for it?

And is the purpose of the survey to figure out what other affiliate marketing schemes "new IPSE" might be able to turn a buck from?

Comment

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post

And is the purpose of the survey to figure out what other affiliate marketing schemes "new IPSE" might be able to turn a buck from?
          If you read between the lines of the survey, mortages are on the way.

Comment

No, my pension plans are well established. Doesn't mean it isn't a good deal for those whose aren't.

No, it's mainly to do with working as a contractor, but if they told you what they were researching ti would seriously bugger up the results, wouldn't it.

Incidentally the rule for any affiliate scheme is that it does not cost IPSE money to deliver or operate They are not meant to earn income for IPSE, which is, after all, a not-for-profit organisation.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              Had forgotten about that question; the strange thing is that the old "target audience" of PCG viz. experienced contractors, are presumably sufficiently well-off and/or clued up that they aren't in need of assistance with the financial services stuff. I guess the new target audience is less well-off and/or clued up.

I think I have made my mind up, if you look at the list linked to by Malvolio I'm not sure the non-tax related benefits are worth £190 a year.

Comment

Had forgotten about that question; the strange thing is that the old "target audience" of PCG viz. experienced contractors, are presumably sufficiently well-off and/or clued up that they aren't in need of assistance with the financial services stuff. I guess the new target audience is less well-off and/or clued up.

I think I have made my mind up, if you look at the list linked to by Malvolio I'm not sure the non-tax related benefits are worth £190 a year.
                Your call of course, but they cost around £1k on the open market. Rather depends how many of them you think you will need and whether the alternative offer the same level and accessibility of cover, but that's the same for any insurance after all.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  I don't think you have to look that hard
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Having been called up for jury duty twice in three years when I was a permie, it's worth it for that alone as far as I'm concerned.

Add in the business interruption insurance, the cover if the agency / client go bust, the cover if the role falls through or isn't as described, the sickness cover - I just don't see where you'd get them all cheaper than £190 a year.

You may not need them, but personally I like to know that they are there if ever I did.

FWIW - if I was the subject of an IR35 investigation, I'd be talking to Qdos because their insurance covers me for all costs, whereas the IPSE+ membership only covers the cost of the investigation (no penalties etc.) But they aren't a like-for-like replacement.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X