• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The business geography of Northen England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The business geography of Northen England

Greetings

I am working on a system just now that contains a database of business in the UK automotive industry and the companies themselves I have had to find by a mixture of company house extracts and the the techniques of the Russian squirrel molester.

I built a google map page today to get a geographic representation of the data and what struck me is the very square nature of the void north of Manchester and to the east of Newcastly type areas.

I know that there is less of stuff up there but did they really plan England with such straight lines or is my data wrong? Or do they all walk, or just not drive.

Ta.

Referenced map...

West of Newcastle shirley?

It's called The Pennines.

Comment

North of Manchester there's Preston, Lancasterish then feck all bar the Lake District, Pennines and North York moorlands to Newcastle, East of that is the North Sea.

Apart from Barrow and Windscale the industry that was abundant in Cumbria is long gone, but back in the iron working days where most of the planets railway lines originated it was all on the West coast anyway.

Comment

There must be more economic activity than what I'm seeing shurley, Inverness has a comparable population to a pub on a Friday night and they seem to be registering more places than about 20000 square miles. Sheep farmers need cars too.

I'm just wondering if my scrapping has missed a server or 2 that is tied to that area. Maybe the companies I am hitting for data just don't service that area. Hmm. The line that stops going north just seems to straight and then a complete drop off.

And, yes, West, I went back to change it from up and left and seem to have fecked it up in the edit
        Last edited by minestrone; 8 February 2015, 22:25.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          There must be more economic activity than what I'm seeing shurley, Inverness has a comparable population to a pub on a Friday night and they seem to be registering more places than about 20000 square miles. Sheep farmers need cars too.

I'm just wondering if my scrapping has missed a server or 2 that is tied to that area. Maybe the companies I am hitting for data just don't service that area. Hmm. The line that stops going north just seems to straight and then a complete drop off.
          If you still mean the area North and East of Manchester towards Newcastle then the economic activities are very largely tourism and livestock farming, the land isn't fit for arable as there's lots of moors, marshy and lakey bits. There really isn't much before you hit the central Scotland belt like your map shows.

Oh and the population in those bits is tiny, just like the empty bits of Wales and Scotland.
          Last edited by TykeMerc; 8 February 2015, 22:37.

Comment

And, yes, West, I went back to change it from up and left and seem to have fecked it up in the edit
            You seem to be asking a Suity type question with important bits of information drip fed into the thread as desired. What exactly are you looking for manufacturing centres or service centres. In both cases you won't find many in Northumberland and Cumbria as there is neither the infrastructure to distribute the goods (if the former) or demand for servicing (if the later)...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Greetings

I am working on a system just now that contains a database of business in the UK automotive industry and the companies themselves I have had to find by a mixture of company house extracts and the the techniques of the Russian squirrel molester.

I built a google map page today to get a geographic representation of the data and what struck me is the very square nature of the void north of Manchester and to the east of Newcastly type areas.

I know that there is less of stuff up there but did they really plan England with such straight lines or is my data wrong? Or do they all walk, or just not drive.

Ta.

Referenced map...

Why companies house extracts?

Why not use a vendor like D&B to get the data you want?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                You seem to be asking a Suity type question with important bits of information drip fed into the thread as desired. What exactly are you looking for manufacturing centres or service centres. In both cases you won't find many in Northumberland and Cumbria as there is neither the infrastructure to distribute the goods (if the former) or demand for servicing (if the later)...
                WHS
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Technically the void still is to the East of Newcastle by the way,

Comment

Technically the void still is to the East of Newcastle by the way,
                    That's a big blue (well blue on a map) wobbly thing called the North Sea.....

Unless you're referring to a different Newcastle than the one Upon Tyne.

Comment

Working...
                    X