• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brickie sacked for being hunky

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By TONY BONNICI
    September 16, 2006

HUNKY teenage labourer Joe Norman was sacked from a building site at a girls school — for driving pupils into a frenzy.

The 18-year-old, who had spent the summer helping to build an extension, started getting wolf-whistles when classes resumed after the holidays.

Girls at the Catholic school would yell: “Oi, fit builder!” Then gangs of them started to CHASE him down corridors.

Furious Joe was fired after head Tom Gibson complained to his bosses that he was putting girls off lessons at Holy Cross School in New Malden, Surrey.

The 6ft 2in builder said yesterday: “I couldn’t believe it. I told them it was not my fault if the girls can’t control themselves but they said the headmaster wanted me gone.”

He insisted he never did anything to stir the girls’ passions — and even kept his shirt on.

Single Joe, of Banstead, Surrey, said: “I’m muscular because of the type of work I do. But I’ve never had this problem before. It was quite intimidating.

“When the girls came back they’d say, ‘Oi fit builder’ and would say they fancied me. It could get quite noisy but there was nothing I could do about it. The girls were meeting up in groups and chasing me down the corridor, shouting stuff.

“I certainly didn’t encourage them — even if it did boost my ego. I kept my head down and kept walking. The other builders thought it was all really funny."

Joe was employed by Hampshire firm HA & DB Kitchin Ltd, who hired him on £6 an hour via an agency. He is now looking for another job.

Head Mr Gibson was unavailable for comment at the 911-pupil school yesterday.

---------------------

£6 per hour, FFS?!?!? I thought builders were in very short supply and rate were ridiculous?!?!

You fancy him don't you?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If that's not sex discrimination, I don't know what is. If he was a girlie and got fired for being "too attractive", there would have been hell to pay.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

He is white, and male. Of course he should have been sacked.

Replace him with a disabled ethnic minority single parent. Sorted.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

It's easy to scoff lads, but having personally been thrown out of many blue chip client contracts for being too sexy, it's no laughing matter.

And trying to architect a large .NET system whilst having hoardes of young office girls swooning over you does not help your career one bit.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            It's easy to scoff lads, but having personally been thrown out of many blue chip client contracts for being too sexy, it's no laughing matter.

And trying to architect a large .NET system whilst having hoardes of young office girls swooning over you does not help your career one bit.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              In this case I'd say: f..k the career!

Comment

i have had women faint in presentations while i described the threat of SQL injections...
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Working...
                X