• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for the dirty, sofa loving, squirrel bothering spekulants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the dirty, sofa loving, squirrel bothering spekulants

DFS IPO 2015 | What you need to know

I liked it so much, I bought the company.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 9 February 2015, 20:06.

Got quite a lot of dosh with HG, costs you less in fees than having it with numerous different fund managers. Didn't know they did a squirrel investment fund though, will have to look into it.

PS Now that stupid EU rules force us to include crime in the calculation of GDP why are there no cocaine smuggling funds? I'd invest in those.
    PPS HG, Please send my promotion fee to my usual account in Honduras.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If I buy some shares will I still be waiting for them in 12 months?

If I spill some coffee on the shares will it just wipe off?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A DFS sale with an actual end date!
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

but will they be on sale for 50% off by Boxing Day?

Comment

I'd generally stay away from IPOs where a private equity company is looking to raise capital to reduce debt, although it may be worth a punt (as in sell during conditional trading or shortly thereafter). In any case, it's difficult to make worthwhile money on an IPO as a retail investor, as they're generally oversubscribed and, therefore, scaled back (and if they aren't, you may be in trouble).

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              DFS IPO 2015 | What you need to know

I liked it so much, I bought the company.
              showing your age there Kiam!
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                I'd generally stay away from IPOs where a private equity company is looking to raise capital to reduce debt, although it may be worth a punt (as in sell during conditional trading or shortly thereafter). In any case, it's difficult to make worthwhile money on an IPO as a retail investor, as they're generally oversubscribed and, therefore, scaled back (and if they aren't, you may be in trouble).
                IPOs are used by the brokers to buy favour with disgruntled clients. They "pop" on day 1. MKeiser.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  IPOs are used by the brokers to buy favour with disgruntled clients. They "pop" on day 1. MKeiser.
                  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I've punted on two private equity IPOs in the last year or so, Merlin Entertainments and Pets at Home. I sold both in conditional dealing. One did reasonably well (small money in absolute terms), the other was a dog. Oddly enough, Pets at Home was massively over-subscribed, so I was never happier to get scaled-back to a meaningless loss. You have to watch private equity sales; they're very good at pushing for the last ounce of valuation (opposite end of the spectrum from something like Royal Mail, for example).

Comment

What JB said, chucked cash at a few of these but set myself a rule - never take a piece if its a private equity 'cash-out'.
                    So RMG (classic cheap privatisation) and Direct Line (forced sale, priced to enable further sales) - Yes.
                    PE beano - no.

Comment

Working...
                    X