• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long to stay on my first contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long to stay on my first contract?

I am almost 2 years in and this is my first contract. The time is nigh to start talking about renewal.

I'm curious as to whether there are reasons that might compel me to move on... For example I've heard that, for non umbrella companies, it is good to move on after 2 to 3 years, for avoiding being seen as a disguised employee. Is this true, and are there any such legal/economical reasons I should consider?

Thanks!

WGAF

Grow some and decide your own destiny

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Ultimately the WP drive whether it is inside or outside, and if they are outside based on one or more of the three pillars, the length of the engagement is irrelevant. I guess it may make it easier for HMRC to investigate you, given that there would be fewer contracts with fewer clients to wade through, but AFAIK they still need to pay some heed to cost-efficiency, so high turnover, high dividend:salary ratio (both of which mean higher yield) and being on a bad footing with HMRC, e.g. due to late returns, are all probably bigger risk factors, coupled with whatever crusades they are on at any point in time, e.g. public sector. You can also mitigate risk through IR35 insurance and contract reviews, e.g. through Qdos. All this is assuming it doesn't become some relic whilst they move onto a new means of targeting contractors, e.g. through the incoming agency reporting requirements.

The 24 month rule re: expenses is the only thing that is impacted by the length of the engagement.
      Last edited by Zero Liability; 10 February 2015, 23:24.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas22 View Post
        I am almost 2 years in and this is my first contract. The time is nigh to start talking about renewal.

I'm curious as to whether there are reasons that might compel me to move on... For example I've heard that, for non umbrella companies, it is good to move on after 2 to 3 years, for avoiding being seen as a disguised employee. Is this true, and are there any such legal/economical reasons I should consider?

Thanks!
        Depends. If the coffee is good, and free then that's a keeper.

Boobylicious girl on reception with cheeky smile would also be an indicator of renewal acceptance.

What about workload? Can you goof off for 3 hour pub lunches at opening time with no one noticing? Again strong indicator.

So many variables in a tricky equation see. Need more background before I can fully give my expert opinion.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Boobylicious girl on reception with cheeky smile would also be an indicator of renewal
          Sounds like a Benefit In Kind.
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Sounds like a Benefit In Kind.
            With double entry it can be easily offset.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              WGAF

Grow some and decide your own destiny

HTH
              Any need for this?
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Any need for this?
                See user name.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Any need for this?
                  Seems pretty normal for General - I know you keep your life blog in the professional forums that give you some degree of protection from these kinds of response, but if you post in General that's what to expect.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you previous jobs where permanent and you've spent 2 years at your first contract your CV screams Permie and you will be back at square 1 trying to get a contract....

So either start contract hunting, give in and go back permie or sit there until they kick you out but I think you will find getting another contract is going to be hard work....
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X