• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rant alert: Permie slackers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant alert: Permie slackers

[Begin of Rant]

Last Friday: Permie App developer gets assigned to build my app. I insist that we go away to another site and not the regular office as people tend to pull him into their issues and hijack him from his desk. I get an approval and we decide to start work on Monday at this site.

Monday: The App developer asks me "nicely" that he needs to fix some urgent issues on some other project and eats half the day away. Post lunch, we sit together and I take him through the grand plan which is perfectly do-able though slightly complicated. He moans a bit that it is a bit complex as it involves offline working

Tuesday: He comes in and starts complaining that he's got a headache. Moans all day about simplifying the app to work only in online mode. Says that he might take a bit more time than planned if it were to work in offline mode.

Wednesday: Calls in Off sick

Today: Calls in off sick and says that he will work from home "if it is really urgent"

Any permie slackers reading this, please go to Wickes, get one of these and shove it up your unlubricated arse.

If your miserable lowlife budget doesn't permit you to get one of them, try one of these.

[End of Rant]

and breathe.
    Last edited by FatLazyContractor; 12 February 2015, 10:05. Reason: Bloody pedants!

Just smile and keep invoicing.
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Last Friday: Permie App developer gets assigned to do my work.
      Shouldn't you be doing your work? If they're having to assign somebody else to do your work, what are you being paid for?
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
        Just smile and keep invoicing.

Fair point. I see fish and chips on the menu for lunch today !

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Shouldn't you be doing your work? If they're having to assign somebody else to do your work, what are you being paid for?
          Pedant. Well, I'm the designer and analyst. He is the developer.

Comment

So are you managing him? Or if not, who is?

Hint : He/She is out of his/her depth on this one and is panicking.

HTH
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              So are you managing him? Or if not, who is?

Hint : He/She is out of his/her depth on this one and is panicking.

HTH
              NO, I am not managing him. Working with him. I've designed the app and did all the SAP-end bits. I wanted someone to do the UI development and I was given this lad.

He is certainly panicking, but then he has a tool-for-the-times and decided to use it!

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              HTH
              How good are you at wearing a flat cap and herding sheep in the Yorkshire dales?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                How good are you at wearing a flat cap and herding sheep in the Yorkshire dales?
                I know a good B&B where you could stay.
                I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                  I know a good B&B where you could stay.
                  Suity already got his handjob yesterday from someone's mum.

Give others a chance lad!

Comment

I'm currently choking German pole unfortunately, otherwise I'd come up and walk your sheep for you.

I nearly got a gig up that way recently. ClientCo took over a week to get to first interview stage though and by that time I already had some German pole to choke.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X