• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Net pioneer warns of data Dark Age

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Net pioneer warns of data Dark Age

BBC News - Google's Vint Cerf warns of 'digital Dark Age'

Vint Cerf, a "father of the internet", says he is worried that all the images and documents we have been saving on computers will eventually be lost.
    I can see where he is coming from with the amount of backwards compatibility that is missing from newer applications but is it really a problem?

Lucky the BBC has already cancelled its Digital Media Initiative
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    BBC News - Google's Vint Cerf warns of 'digital Dark Age'

I can see where he is coming from with the amount of backwards compatibility that is missing from newer applications but is it really a problem?

Lucky the BBC has already cancelled its Digital Media Initiative
    wait until you try and stream a BBC radio station through your sonos players this weekend....

I'm sure Vint is not the first person to mention that the early 21st century will be seen as a dark age in the future. One reason is that you need to be proactive in storing stuff when previously it easy just to store stuff aware in a draw.

The effort involved in recovering the BBC's doomsday project of 1986 was a clue as to the problem...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      wait until you try and stream a BBC radio station through your sonos players this weekend....
      What's happening to sonos players this weekend? I can guess but details would be handy.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
      X