• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should victim be forced to write to attacker?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should victim be forced to write to attacker?

Victim told to write to vicious attacker or face jail herself - Telegraph

A mother who was tortured for seven hours and had her throat slashed in front of her twin sons has been forced to write to her attacker, and could face jail herself if she refuses.

On the other side :-

However, in January 2014 she was told that Hughes was applying for a Residence and Contact Order under Section 8 of the Children Act of 1989, and was asking for six letters a year, as well as phone calls from the twins on their birthdays and at Christmas.

Ms Allman spent £3,000 on legal fees to fight the demand, but a court ruled that she would have to send three letters a year, updating Hughes on the children's school progress, health, and emotional development.

She was also ordered to send an up-to-date photograph of the boys, while Hughes was given permission to send them cards at birthdays and Christmas, and a letter at the start of each school year.

What does the panel think?

Difficult one, as ever you never get all the facts, but he is the boy’s father, I feel keep the letters factual & perfunctory but send them
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

Dear Tw@t,

Our children are fine, they are now both old enough to go outside on their own, unlike you.
      They go to bed about 45 minutes and 1.5 hours later than you do and never need to share a bed, unlike you.

Yours
      A free lady who can shower without the constant fear of being sodomised (unlike you).
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
        Dear Tw@t,

You are a
        You are a

Yours
        A free lady who can shower without the constant fear of being sodomised (unlike you).
        Less words and more smilies, aye Geordie!

Comment

6 letters a year? Not much of a chore, surely? It could be out of the way before the first week in January is over.

Comment

I think it's an easy one. No, she shouldn't be forced to write to her attacker nor receive any communications from him. It could all be done through third parties without any input from her at all. It is unjust that she should be obliged to have any contact with him whatsoever (except possibly with a blunt object). An alternative solution can and should be found.

I wonder what grounds she contested the original order on - e.g. if she'd been actually trying to deny him all contact with his kids, that would have been an error.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I can understand him being advised because as mentioned above despite being what seems to be a vile human being with a drink problem he is the father, but surely its best if the letter writing is done by a social worker / psychologist. She won't know what will set him off.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Shirley the most sensible solution would be someone in HIS family write him the letters, I would assume the grandparents would still be involved in the Twins life.

Lots of people do not have direct contact with each other for various reasons but can still function as parents
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Shirley the most sensible solution would be someone in HIS family write him the letters, I would assume the grandparents would still be involved in the Twins life.
                  I wouldn't make assumptions about anyone’s family structure.

He may not have any sane closely-related living family at all.

The letters shouldn't be from her though as he will automatically presume she is up to something if he's that vindictive.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X