• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good and bad clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good and bad clients

Yeh I know best one is the one that pays on time and pays the most :-)

But aside from this, what are your best/worst experiences at client? Heres mine.

Best - Couple of them really.
    1. Nice atmosphere.
    2 Decent people.
    3. No-one really flags up all the time your a contractor.
    4. Flexibility and bit of give and take with hours.

Worst- One specific I can think of.
    1. Contractors had to sit on separate desk.
    2. Anything complex came in - permies took over and refused to tell contractors how it was fixed.
    3. Told not allowed to leave site at lunchtime - yeh right.
    4. Contractors not allowed to use internet at all.
    5. Told to minimise toilet breaks.
    6. Told not allowed to eat at desk (but permies could).
    7. Permies would write down the time you came in and went so you had to be careful.
    8. Worked late till 10pm one night because of issues, then got moaned at because I came in at 10am a week later after doctors appt.
    9. If I went to other office for meeting, manager used to appear after meeting end (I'd stay there and hot desk) to check I hadnt gone home (this office was on my way home).

Awful place.

Too many Bobs and not enough traps.

Comment

Originally posted by paulinefowlersgrowler View Post
      Yeh I know best one is the one that pays on time and pays the most :-)

But aside from this, what are your best/worst experiences at client? Heres mine.

Best - Couple of them really.
      1. Nice atmosphere.
      2 Decent people.
      3. No-one really flags up all the time your a contractor.
      4. Flexibility and bit of give and take with hours.

Worst- One specific I can think of.
      1. Contractors had to sit on separate desk.
      2. Anything complex came in - permies took over and refused to tell contractors how it was fixed.
      3. Told not allowed to leave site at lunchtime - yeh right.
      4. Contractors not allowed to use internet at all.
      5. Told to minimise toilet breaks.
      6. Told not allowed to eat at desk (but permies could).
      7. Permies would write down the time you came in and went so you had to be careful.
      8. Worked late till 10pm one night because of issues, then got moaned at because I came in at 10am a week later after doctors appt.
      9. If I went to other office for meeting, manager used to appear after meeting end (I'd stay there and hot desk) to check I hadnt gone home (this office was on my way home).

Awful place.
      So your best place is the one that treats you like an employee, and the worst is the one that has a clear demarcation between how they treat employees and suppliers??
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Best: Work from home, minimal interruptions from client, left to get on with my work, brought in as an expert and treated as such.

Worst: hated the project, the people, the client, the ultimate purpose of the system, and the location. Paid well though.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          So your best place is the one that treats you like an employee, and the worst is the one that has a clear demarcation between how they treat employees and suppliers??
          That didn't sound like a place that treated employees or suppliers well.

I have a simple rule I will happily work at places that treat me in the way I would treat others. If they treat me badly their probably treat everyone (including customers) as badly so I would leave asap to disassociate myself from them...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

YANCOTBAC
            FTFY.

HTH

PS - I suggest that you read the OPs threads in 'Business/Contracts'
            Last edited by FatLazyContractor; 16 February 2015, 10:55. Reason: Wrong section reference

Comment

This begs the question, if the Client is bad why stay?

One of the reasons I contract is so I can pick and choose the places I work, the one time I have stopped enjoying my time at a contract I turned down a renewal and left
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                This begs the question, if the Client is bad why stay?

One of the reasons I contract is so I can pick and choose the places I work, the one time I have stopped enjoying my time at a contract I turned down a renewal and left
                Warchest?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  Warchest?
                  Do you build the warchest so you don't have to work if you choose not to?

Or do you work to build the warchest?
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Do you build the warchest so you don't have to work if you choose not to?

Or do you work to build the warchest?
                    Or in someone's words, Do you have a warchest?

Comment

Working...
                    X