• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving a contract

All

please help me gain perspective.

I have always honoured contracts. In January I joined a local company to provide Process analysis consultancy within their IT division. It was a short 3 month contract where the client is not sure on the output of the engagement.

The main draw of this contract was the location (5 minutes down the road) . The client specified one weeks notice period for the 1st month which made me quite nervous as you feel quite disposable.

I use DMAIC toolsets which take time when done properly

The one weeks notice has just been extended to the end of the contract (7 weeks).

If I'm being honest I still think the company is unsure of the merits of going down the 6 sigma route.

In the mean time an old director I worked for wants my services on a years contract , 4 weeks notice at a day rate which is 45% higher. But he needs me ASAP. He can only wait 10 days

long story short... I am wrestling with my conscience. Do I give my weeks notice and take up the other fantastic opportunity

OR

Do I see this through and carry the risk I could be axed at a weeks notice.

My wife tells me to grow a pair and the fact that the client has extended the one weeks notice is a vote of no confidence. No one can work on a weeks notice and I would be stupid to let the other role pass.... but then again she wants a new kitchen

Thoughts ?

Notice periods are essentially meaningless for us, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at to be honest. If you want a real 4 week notice period, then you ought to get a permie job.

If you want to switch, switch - but I wouldn't be focussing on the notice periods at all.

Comment

Your wife is talking bollocks. If she has time to be giving you opinions on your contracts she's not working hard enough on her chores. Sort her out will you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by u9k82 View Post
        All

please help me gain perspective.

I have always honoured contracts. In January I joined a local company to provide Process analysis consultancy within their IT division. It was a short 3 month contract where the client is not sure on the output of the engagement.

The main draw of this contract was the location (5 minutes down the road) . The client specified one weeks notice period for the 1st month which made me quite nervous as you feel quite disposable.

I use DMAIC toolsets which take time when done properly

The one weeks notice has just been extended to the end of the contract (7 weeks).

If I'm being honest I still think the company is unsure of the merits of going down the 6 sigma route.

In the mean time an old director I worked for wants my services on a years contract , 4 weeks notice at a day rate which is 45% higher. But he needs me ASAP. He can only wait 10 days

long story short... I am wrestling with my conscience. Do I give my weeks notice and take up the other fantastic opportunity

OR

Do I see this through and carry the risk I could be axed at a weeks notice.

My wife tells me to grow a pair and the fact that the client has extended the one weeks notice is a vote of no confidence. No one can work on a weeks notice and I would be stupid to let the other role pass.... but then again she wants a new kitchen

Thoughts ?

That's exactly what she told me about you this morning. BTW, nice mattress.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The only thing of relevance in anything you've said is "45% higher".

If that's enough to jump ship for, then jump; if it isn't then don't - both contracts could easily end today, so talk of being a year's contract or having a better notice period and the like is completely irrelevant to your situation.

If the rate and the role are something you want to do, then go do them; if they aren't, then don't.

And FWIW, your wife doesn't know what she's talking about.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            That's exactly what she told me about you this morning. BTW, nice mattress.
            Is she changing the sheets, even as I read this?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Not sure how you are going to jump ship now your notice period is now 7 weeks?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Your wife is talking bollocks. If she has time to be giving you opinions on your contracts she's not working hard enough on her chores. Sort her out will you.
                Who wants to do an unpaid tulip job these days?!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Not sure how you are going to jump ship now your notice period is now 7 weeks?
                  I'm on a weeks notice for the remainder of the contract (7 weeks)

Comment

Originally posted by u9k82 View Post
                    I'm on a weeks notice for the remainder of the contract (7 weeks)
                    If it were me, I would hand in the notice NOW and join my mates' company next week.

Comment

Working...
                    X