• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Shares - first time, advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Shares - first time, advice needed

Hi folks
    I am normally 100% risk averse, and so is the missus, but I need to shift some money out of the bank.
    So as a noob, how would I go about buying 10k worth of shares ?
    I know which ones I will be getting, so it's the mechanics of it that I am after

serious comments only please.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

You may want to join an online platform, such as Hargreaves Lansdown (Hargreaves Lansdown | ISAs, pensions, funds and shares) for example. Prices for trades vary between platforms as do services so a bit of research may be in order. Try Goggling for 'uk share trading platforms'.

btw, I use HL as an example because I use it myself for both SIPP and ISA share dealing.

Comment

Barclays MarketMaker. Both I and MF use.

HTH
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Halifax is quite simple & straightforward to use.
        Dont forget to maximise your ISA allowance in sharedealing first for tax saving reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by AMH View Post
          Halifax is quite simple & straightforward to use.
          Dont forget to maximise your ISA allowance in sharedealing first for tax saving reasons.
          Yep, get a share dealing ISA to wrap your investment. That's a must.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It's a great time to sell shares.

Comment

Serious advice... don't come here asking for advice

Comment

I wouldn't buy shares at the moment. The prices are spiking up to the same amounts they were at during the .com and credit crunch collapses.

This is a good time to sell shares and invest in something else. Wait for a year or so after the next crash, then buy!

Comment

NickyBoy's graph shows the FTSe is at similar levels to 2000, when beer was £1.70 a pint.
                  go figure...
                  But I advice you not to take my advice.

+1 for HL, must admit I have shares in them though....

Also do use your ISA allowance, then any gains and div's are tax free.
                  You can start an ISA on line with HL with just a debit card and an NI number.
                  You can also have a separate share account outside the ISA under the same login.
                  I've also got my pension money there, such as it is.

As a complete beginner, unless you really believe in a certain company, consider buying a fund of shares that includes your favourite share?
                  You weigh off the charges of funds vs the £10 or so dealing fee per share deal.
                  I think this means buying less than about £3k of any one share is inefficient, but it depends how you look at it...

Motley Fool is a good forum to get ideas etc, usual warning about forums of course.....
                  Last edited by Lightwave; 17 February 2015, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightwave View Post
                    NickyBoy's graph shows the FTSe is at similar levels to 2000, when beer was £1.70 a pint
                    My chart shows real value, altering later values to account for inflation.

In other words, it assumes that £2.57 today is the same as £1.70 in 2000.
                    Last edited by NickyBoy; 17 February 2015, 14:08.

Comment

Working...
                    X