• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The impact of a Bank Base Rate cut on mortgage pricing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The impact of a Bank Base Rate cut on mortgage pricing

Interesting article from Mortgage Solutions:

The impact of a Bank Base Rate cut on mortgage pricing - Marketwatch

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
    Interesting Indeed. I personally don't think there will be a further rate cut. It's not necessary as interest rates are already fairly competitive. Furthermore, a cut in the BoE base rate doesn't mean lenders will pass this reduction onto borrows.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelancer Financials View Post
      Interesting Indeed. I personally don't think there will be a further rate cut. It's not necessary as interest rates are already fairly competitive. Furthermore, a cut in the BoE base rate doesn't mean lenders will pass this reduction onto borrows.
      When I took out my main mortgage, some 18 years ago, SVRs were typically 1.5 to 2% above base rate. Teaser rates on mortgages with fees were below base.
      The lifetime tracker I took out at 1% over base was a long way from being the lowest rate.
      Base rate has lost most of its connection with mortgage rates.

My view is that UK bank rates will probably be forced up when the USA chooses to raise theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Freelancer Financials View Post
        Very true

Mike Jones from Halifax puts forward the case that a fall in base rate could increase the cost of fixed money:

"There is also the possibility that the interest swaps market would react to a drop in the base rate by worrying about the need for a rise beyond current expectations longer term. As these markets have a big influence on mortgage pricing it is therefore entirely possible that fixed mortgage rates would rise, not fall."

Comment

Working...
        X