• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It has to be me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has to be me

I have to be incompetent. It can't possibly be Oracle software being utter tulipe. I accept my incompetence for what it is and humbly beg your help.

Here is what I must accomplish before I leave today (in 3 hrs).

I need to install Oracle instant client 64 and 32 bit on a server, create a tnsnames.ora file in both clients and create an ODBC connection in the 32 bit client only to use this tnsnames entry.
    This needs to be done because the vendor stipulates it.

Actually what the vendor says is

Install 64 bit instant client.
    Install 32 bit instant client.
    Install ODAC.

What they fail to mention is that when installing ODAC, you need to install it to the 32 bit directory of the 32 bit instant client. That was last nights fun and games figuring out that little challenge. In fact I fail to see why you need to install ODAC after having installed the 32 bit instant client, but let's leave that for now.

So back to my sheer incompetence.

Last night in the hotel I completed the above tasks, and when trying to create an ODBC connection (using the 32 bit ODBC administrator from SysWOW64) I could not as the tns entry was not appearing in the drop down list. After much foogling I found one solution which was to create a new registry value in the Oracle 32 bit section of the registry called TNS_ADMIN. I hate registry hacking and was really uncomfortable doing this, especially with me having sporks for hands and all.

But it worked and I was able to create an ODBC connection in the 32 bit client. So I documented all that I did and went to bed.

I skipped to work this morning, full of the joys of spring, safe in the knowledge that I had basic reproduceable steps documented on my lappy. How utterly naive of me.

64 bit client installed ok.
    32 bit client installed ok.
    ODAC 32 installed ok.
    Create TNS entry. Test. Ok.
    TNSPing this entry. Ok.
    SQLPlus (32 bit) log in using this TNS entry, ok.
    Open 32bit ODBC Admin, new ODBC Connection - using 32bit driver. No TNS entries in the list. Ah hah! My magic registry hack! Smugly done, and still doesn't fracking work

As I say, the very epitome of incompetence, flame away, but please for all the flaming, at least one post showing me the error of my ways.

TIA

Suity SporkHands
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

check permissions on the directory with the tnsnames.ora entry (give everyone full access to everything there and parent directories) and reboot the computer....
    Last edited by eek; 20 February 2015, 10:31.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'd never touched Oracle until this project and I don't know if it's because of the way the developers here utilise it, but it appears (from the client side) to be the worst piece of software in the history of the world.

Comment

Check where tnsnames.ora is too - on Unix for example there's one in /var/opt/oracle which takes precedence over the one in the .../network/admin place.

Not sure on Windows tho..

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          check permissions on the directory with the tnsnames.ora entry (give everyone full access to everything there and parent directories) and reboot the computer....
          Thanks bud

Already had R/W permissions for all users. Reboot done but sadly not working.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            I'd never touched Oracle until this project and I don't know if it's because of the way the developers here utilise it, but it appears (from the client side) to be the worst piece of software in the history of the world.
            there is some stiff competition but it is a serious contender!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              The server side is fantastic though! And why on earth would you want to use windows software with a java oracle back end?

This is more like the vendor reluctantly supporting oracle.

And me reluctantly having to support it to.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Thanks bud

Already had R/W permissions for all users. Reboot done but sadly not working.
                As Stek says check for all the tnsnames.ora files. I'm not in an oracle world at the moment (thank ...) but there will be multiple tnsnames files in use. You need to find the correct one...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  As Stek says check for all the tnsnames.ora files. I'm not in an oracle world at the moment (thank ...) but there will be multiple tnsnames files in use. You need to find the correct one...
                  There are two. In the correct places.

d:\app\username\product\11.2.0\client_32\network\a dmin\tnsnames.ora
                  d:\app\username\product\11.2.0\client_64\network\a dmin\tnsnames.ora

The TNS_ADMIN registry entries I added has a value of "d:\app\username\product\11.2.0\client_32\network\ admin\" in the 32 bit key and "d:\app\username\product\11.2.0\client_64\network\ admin\" in the 64 bit key.

Comment

Did you cut and paste these reg key values ? Cause if you did.......
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X