• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCLXIX

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Sheriff's Lair vol. CCLXIX

Quite sunny here today. I assume they're saving the tempest for when I have to drive home
    • My Own Life - Noted neurologist Oliver Sacks reflects on his recent diagnosis of terminal cancer: ”I feel grateful that I have been granted nine years of good health and productivity since the original diagnosis, but now I am face to face with dying… It is up to me now to choose how to live out the months that remain to me. ”

• The Apollo Saturn V LVDC Project - Fran Blanch has been getting hold of bits of Apollo project hardware and trying to work out exactly how they work. This page is her Launch Vehicle Digital Computer project: ”As a result of my X-ray analysis of my own LVDC board in February 2013, a viewer donated another LVDC page assembly board to me that had been exposed to the elements in a salvage yard for over 40 years. They sent this priceless artifact for the specific purpose that it be disassembled and destructively reverse engineered down to the component level, so that once and for all the real technology beneath the surface could be understood, that could explain how the Apollo Launch Vehicle Digital Computer really worked.”

• New Age Bulltulip Generator - "Namaste. Do you want to sell a New Age product and/or service? Tired of coming up with meaningless copy for your starry-eyed customers? Want to join the ranks of bestselling self-help authors? We can help." Had to use a URL shortener for this one, to get the URL past the naughty words filter

• Forgotten tech father: Bill Tutte vs. Alan Turing? - "Contrary to popular opinion, Alan Turing was not the only brilliant mathematical code-breaker at Bletchley Park during World War Two. He was also not the only one who was instrumental in the birth of computing.”

• The Mystery of the Creepiest Television Hack - The story of the famous 1987 incident when somebody hijacked the broadcast signals of Chicago stations WGN-TV and WTTW: ”The government was unamused. Officials from the FCC, the agency responsible for regulating America’s airwaves, pledged to track down the mysterious culprits and bring them to justice. Agents from the FBI's Chicago field office would soon join the investigation. "I would like to inform anybody involved in this kinda thing, that there's a maximum penalty of $100,000, one-year in jail, or both," Phil Bradford, an FCC spokesman, told a reporter the following day.”

• Josef Schulz documents abandoned checkpoint architecture across Europe - "In the past, national borders were divisive by character. In some cases their purpose was to delineate between political, legal, fiscal and monetary systems, in others between linguistic and cultural differences. Borders were lines, drawn not only across territories but also through our heads… The border posts resemble abandoned sentinels or faded monuments of past partition. ”

• Your Family: Past, Present, and Future - Tim Urban on the maths of genealogy: ”You can see that things get hectic pretty quickly when you start moving back generations. The top row is the 128-person group of your great5 grandparents, or your grandparents’ grandparents’ great-grandparents. The thing that I find surprising is how recently in time you had such a large number of ancestors… the early 19th-century world contained 128 random strangers going about their lives, each of whose genes makes up 1/128th of who you are today.”

• Offence and Free Speech - Frankie Boyle: ”I was asked to speak on a panel about offence and free speech post Charlie Hebdo. I always quite like the idea of speaking at some serious discussion, but in practice I just make everybody uncomfortable and they all smile at me uneasily in the way a posh cafe owner does when builders come in to buy rolls. And yet current attitudes in Britain to offence and free speech certainly mean that I've got a lot of ******* time on my hands, so I thought I'd take a break from building matchstick cathedrals and learning the harpsichord to share my thoughts.”

• Why We Can’t Rule Out Bigfoot - Carl Zimmer explains the place of the null hypothesis in science: ”People often think that the job of scientists is to prove a hypothesis is true—the existence of electrons, for example, or the ability of a drug to cure cancer. But very often, scientists do the reverse: They set out to disprove a hypothesis.”

• Why girls shouldn't run away to London - "Thanks to my friend Chris for these scans from Kathleen Wood’s Escape to London, published in 1977 by the Edinburgh-based firm Holmes MacDougall. Chris recalls coming across this book during his schooldays in Stirling, and that it was part of a series warning children about the potential dangers of the wider world."

Happy invoicing!

Thanks.

That should sort my afternoon, especially after a big home-cooked hot lunch

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Quite sunny here today. I assume they're saving the tempest for when I have to drive home
      • Your Family: Past, Present, and Future - Tim Urban on the maths of genealogy: ”You can see that things get hectic pretty quickly when you start moving back generations. The top row is the 128-person group of your great5 grandparents, or your grandparents’ grandparents’ great-grandparents. The thing that I find surprising is how recently in time you had such a large number of ancestors… the early 19th-century world contained 128 random strangers going about their lives, each of whose genes makes up 1/128th of who you are today.”

Happy invoicing!
      I read somewhere that pretty much everyone is related to Charlemagne, not because he was so prolific when it came to issue, just purely on numbers going back that many generations
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I read somewhere that pretty much everyone is related to Charlemagne, not because he was so prolific when it came to issue, just purely on numbers going back that many generations
        If we expand that a little bit; then we are all related to Suity!
        I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

[*]Why girls shouldn't run away to London - "Thanks to my friend Chris for these scans from Kathleen Wood’s Escape to London, published in 1977 by the Edinburgh-based firm Holmes MacDougall. Chris recalls coming across this book during his schooldays in Stirling, and that it was part of a series warning children about the potential dangers of the wider world." ...
          Shame that site doesn't appear to include the complete story.

When the girls arrived at the dodgy squat, it just seemed to be warming up
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Shame that site doesn't appear to include the complete story.

When the girls arrived at the dodgy squat, it just seemed to be warming up
            Oh goody a complete the story game!

Here meet the home secretary and the defense minister, this is the shadow home secretary they want to take you upstairs?

Good links by the way Nick.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think I saw Nick's pad on rightmove for £500K.

Comment

• Josef Schulz documents abandoned checkpoint architecture across Europe - "In the past, national borders were divisive by character. In some cases their purpose was to delineate between political, legal, fiscal and monetary systems, in others between linguistic and cultural differences. Borders were lines, drawn not only across territories but also through our heads… The border posts resemble abandoned sentinels or faded monuments of past partition. ”
                Must be the season for visiting old borders. This Spanish photographer found that richer nations either demolished old border buildings or found another use for them, so went to Eastern Europe to find some in their original guise.

Europe's former border stations: obsolete, desolate, but still redolent of their past
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  I'm offended about the Frankie Boyle thing about being offended.

Is that offensive of me?

I wasn't very offended to find, off to the side of the sad news of Oliver Sacks, an interesting diatribe about lady gardens.

The thing about the Apollo Saturn V LVDC is interesting. They were giants in those days.

The thing about Bill Tutte is even more interesting. He was a giant all on his own. To reverse engineer the Lorentz machine without seeing it is an incredible achievement, from which Colossus flowed. He & Tommy Flowers were amazing.
                  squaring the square refers to the problem of assembling squares of different integer-valued sides into a larger square, with no internal holes.

It is tricky if all sub-squares must have distinct side lengths. The perfect squared square would be one of side 70 tiled by sub-squares of side lengths 1, 2, .. 24. The areas match, because 1^2 + 2^2 + .. + 24^2 = 70^2. But sadly it was recently proved that no such tiling exists (and there are no other integers m > 1, n with the property that 1^2 + .. + m^2 = n^2).
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Good stuff.

Interesting and bright chap Boyle. There was me thinking he was an idiot 'cos the press told me so and I hate celebrities. We all have preconceptions.

Not convinced about the Bigfoot. Of course one can never prove or disprove anything absolutely, even the "fact" that the sun exists assumes that we are not all hallucinating. But realistically, the only practical purpose of proof is to guide us in our perceived reality, and by that definition Bigfoot almost certainly does not exist:-

a) It is far too large an animal to avoid more frequent sightings over more than 60 years unless there are very few of them.
                    b) No species can perpetuate itself if limited to so few individuals. The only other remote possibility is that it has an unnaturally long life span and we are just seeing the last remnants.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X