• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know anything about Winchester?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about Winchester?

Hi

I'm going to entering back into the contracting market after having a permie job that I am now going to be made redundant from, and I'm looking at finding the right umbrella company. I've looked at the likes of contractorumbrella.com and Parasol, but I'm also getting calls from someone at Winchester Tax Boutique. Their offer sounds attractive, at an approximate 85% retention rate, and it's (supposedly) not an offshore scheme. However, my gut feeling is that if something looks too good to be true, it usually is. Does anyone know anything about these people?

They tell me however that they have closed their offshore part of the business and that the scheme they now have is fully UK mainland based. Would appreciate any opinions or advice that anyone has about these, and whether or not I'm going to find myself owing thousands to HMRC in few years if I decided to go with them.

Thanks
    Last edited by cojak; 23 February 2015, 13:31. Reason: snipped URL.

Originally posted by tbennett365 View Post
    approximate 85% retention rate
    Seems obvious to me, if they can pay that much go with them, what could possibly go wrong?

I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Just worth checking though, as unlikely as it seems.

Comment

However, my gut feeling is that if something looks too good to be true, it usually is. Does anyone know anything about these people?
        Pay attention to your gut feeling.

Anyone that signs up to a scheme these days deserves everything that HMRC will eventually throw at them. It's no mystery that schemes are on HMRC targeting systems and no matter what the claims are you've only yourself to blame when they drop on you like a ton of bricks.

Comment

Hi

I'm going to entering back into the contracting market after having a permie job that I am now going to be made redundant from, and I'm looking at finding the right umbrella company. I've looked at the likes of contractorumbrella.com and Parasol, but I'm also getting calls from someone at Winchester Tax Boutique. Their offer sounds attractive, at an approximate 85% retention rate, and it's (supposedly) not an offshore scheme. However, my gut feeling is that if something looks too good to be true, it usually is. Does anyone know anything about these people?

They tell me however that they have closed their offshore part of the business and that the scheme they now have is fully UK mainland based. Would appreciate any opinions or advice that anyone has about these, and whether or not I'm going to find myself owing thousands to HMRC in few years if I decided to go with them.

Thanks
          It sounds too good to be true - An Umbrella company cannot help you retain 85% by paying you conventionally.

A new(ish) company with no website showing details of how the payments are structured doesn't look great either.

Comment

Any firm that offers an 85/90% scheme these days is borderline crooked.

They are selling a product which they must know is extremely likely to go very badly wrong.
            Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 23 February 2015, 15:13.

Comment

Go limited and earn the 85% legally! Well... 80....75 for cash?
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

85% That is a fantastic return.

Go for it.

What could possibly go wrong
                Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

I'm going to find myself owing thousands to HMRC in few years if I decided to go with them.
                  You will.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But soon, and for the rest of your life.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It was the capital of England before London
                    Blood in your poo

Comment

Working...
                    X