• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear oh dear oh dear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear oh dear oh dear

http://management.silicon.com/career...9162529,00.htm

Foreign workers not needed by UK IT - poll

The majority view is at odds with sentiments recently expressed by senior industry executives - and by the silicon.com CIO Jury IT user panel which this week voted by a ratio of seven to five that location is a consideration often put on the back burner when it comes to sourcing resources.

In July BA's CIO Paul Coby warned the UK is facing a serious IT skills crisis which he said could cripple businesses' ability to compete. Speaking at the time he said: "We're all finding it's tough to find top-grade staff."

The CEO of SAS ( guru?), Jim Goodnight, also recently spoke out on the subject. Back in June, Goodnight called for the UK and US governments to open their borders to skilled overseas IT workers as a means of fostering innovation and maintaining competitive edge, adding that the IT industry is "screaming" for changes to immigration laws.

Tossers.

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    The CEO of SAS ( guru?), Jim Goodnight

Comment

When you have top quality contractors like Andyw it is futile to import geniuses...

HTH
      The rest is silence...

Comment

Of course managers like these tossers will keep repeating 'skills shortage' until it becomes an 'accepted fact'.

They are the same ones like Norwich Union who wasted £350 million on a defunct Wealth Management project, then cut the workforce who despite their managements best efforts were still making the company £1,700,000,000 PROFIT.

The only lack of talent in the UK is at management level. As we all know, for every job we apply for we have to tailor our CV, get CV shifted by agents who don't even understand what the words on it mean, then go through either a technical interview (contract) or several interviews (permanent).

The old 'must have 5 years SQL Server 2005', 'market rate (£200 a day in London)', 'suit graduate looking for more experience' ads are as commonplace as ever. Companies locate in inhospitable / unreachable locations then expect the countries workforce to move to them for unattractive salaries.

Why can't they just be honest - they don't understand IT, they understand balance sheets. The see foreign workers as the solution as they drive perceived costs down, leading to bonuses for them, nothing for the customer, and bugger all for the country.

In a related story on the same site, ageism in IT is mentioned. I suspect it is why many people go contracting mid-thirties, as you are no longer taken seriously by most people for a permanent job.

Every role Ive had in the last 6 years, I have been expected to 'mentor', 'team lead', 'knowledge transfer' or effectively be a manager, as well as be technically capable, train myself, and keep my skills 'cutting edge'. I have yet to meet a manager who would also be expected to be able to do MY job, as well as his own!!

The real skills crisis is in UK management.
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor
          When you have top quality contractors like Andyw it is futile to import geniuses...

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
            Of course managers like these tossers will keep repeating 'skills shortage' until it becomes an 'accepted fact'.

They are the same ones like Norwich Union who wasted £350 million on a defunct Wealth Management project, then cut the workforce who despite their managements best efforts were still making the company £1,700,000,000 PROFIT.

The only lack of talent in the UK is at management level. As we all know, for every job we apply for we have to tailor our CV, get CV shifted by agents who don't even understand what the words on it mean, then go through either a technical interview (contract) or several interviews (permanent).

The old 'must have 5 years SQL Server 2005', 'market rate (£200 a day in London)', 'suit graduate looking for more experience' ads are as commonplace as ever. Companies locate in inhospitable / unreachable locations then expect the countries workforce to move to them for unattractive salaries.

Why can't they just be honest - they don't understand IT, they understand balance sheets. The see foreign workers as the solution as they drive perceived costs down, leading to bonuses for them, nothing for the customer, and bugger all for the country.

In a related story on the same site, ageism in IT is mentioned. I suspect it is why many people go contracting mid-thirties, as you are no longer taken seriously by most people for a permanent job.

Every role Ive had in the last 6 years, I have been expected to 'mentor', 'team lead', 'knowledge transfer' or effectively be a manager, as well as be technically capable, train myself, and keep my skills 'cutting edge'. I have yet to meet a manager who would also be expected to be able to do MY job, as well as his own!!

Yes, spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd

Top Rant!!
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

1. A developer is not necessary suited to a managerial role just because he's getting on a bit.

2. Neither is a graduate of Management Studies.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

It comes down to the same old thing doesn't it - people want something for nothing and that includes our skills. Of course businesses want the floodgates opened - they know that rates will be driven down and they will have a bigger pool to select from - win, win for them really........short term!

Comment

Working...
                  X