• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too Boomed

Last year was my 5th year in a contract and I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be renewed as they employed a permie and I spent the last 6 months training him up. As it is they gave me a contract for 400 hours for this year for as-is support and a small project which is nice but won't pay the bills so off I went...

Had a phone interview this morning for a contract that an agency rang me up about on Monday. 2 people plus the agent on the call and they said there and then that they want me and when can I start. So, paperwork being drawn up and start date is mid-March until the end of the year with guaranteed yearly extensions for at least 3 years. A rather nice contract as well at IBM research working and developing new technologies although the only downside is it means hotels again...

There is one slight glitch as I've also been in discussion with an American (Washington DC, beltway based) company about being their 'man' in EMEA but to support them worldwide and have got that job as well. They wanted me as a permie but it was too much hassle so we decided I would be an independent consultant and just charge them a monthly sum, an extra hourly rate and expenses. They're already sorting out flights to the USA for some induction and training and getting all the hardware and software I need for here. This is some new and upcoming technology which is very exciting but also overlaps the IBM gig, in fact this is also IBM in all but name. With luck I should be able to do both (I've done practically the same before, in fact I was working at IBM Research then.)

So good news but buggered myself up a bit...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Well, perhaps you can invest some of the megabucks you'll be earning into cloning research? Congrats though!

Comment

Comment

Nice one!

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

More money for you to give to the Greeks!
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Comment

nice one

Comment

Thanks everyone, things have been hectic the last couple days getting everything sorted but its all sorted and go, go, go (well 18th March for one project and 1st April for the other)
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

BlueMix? Softlayer?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    BlueMix? Softlayer?
                    The second, plus some other stuff (Cloud One) but I don't think Bluemix comes into the equation, well no one has told me so...

Comment

Working...
                    X