• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Email Account should I use for my first email to ClientCo?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Email Account should I use for my first email to ClientCo?

Hi

Very new to this and spending every waking moment reading these forums but in the meantime I would be grateful for some help (sorry for the numpty question).

I haven't engaged an accountant yet, hopefully later this week once my Business Bank Acc is fully open (I decided to switch to Metrobank). I will probably choose either InTouch or Crunch after hearing good things.

I have to email ClientCo for the first time tomorrow and wish to follow correct procedure for IR35 etc.

I have purchased 2 email addresses featuring my Company's domain name, ie. info@ and my.name@

Which one should I use at this early stage? No project details will be discussed with ClientCo at this stage.

ClientCo just wants to send over contract and confirm the day rate to which we agreed over the telephone.

Thanks very much
    Last edited by dmrb; 1 March 2015, 16:59.

Eh? Is this a serious question? If so, you're massively over-thinking this. You'll find plenty of material on IR35 in the guides on this site (to the right). After you've read that material, it should be obvious that an e-mail address isn't one of the pillars of (demonstrating that you aren't in) disguised employment Try this too:

https://www.ipse.co.uk/guide

Why would you even consider using an info@ e-mail address anyway? Perhaps something for handling website queries, but you're a representative of YourCo and you have a real name...

Comment

WJBS

Also, if you own Your Co's domain how have you "purchased two email address"?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        WJBS

Also, if you own Your Co's domain how have you "purchased two email address"?
        Owning a domain isn't the same as hosting a mail server.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Eh? Is this a serious question? If so, you're massively over-thinking this. You'll find plenty of material on IR35 in the guides on this site (to the right). After you've read that material, it should be obvious that an e-mail address isn't one of the pillars of (demonstrating that you aren't in) disguised employment Try this too:

https://www.ipse.co.uk/guide

Why would you even consider using an info@ e-mail address anyway? Perhaps something for handling website queries, but you're a representative of YourCo and you have a real name...
          Thanks JB. I am indeed guilty of over thinking

Comment

There are loads of similar companies out there but I use Swift internet for my website and three domains.
            Each domain has about five email accounts with a webmail interface if I want it or you can just use MS Outlook.

I use myname.co.uk, myname.com ---> Pointing to: my Company name.co.uk

I would use your email address at your domain.

i.e: [email protected]

Swift internet also do websites but I paid someone to do a basic HTML one and I just copy it up to my domain.
            I had forgotten HTML and could not be bothered to re-learn it.

If it gets overwritten but something / someone then I just copy it back again.

I pay about £200 per year but there are loads of companies that do hosting, email and domains.

p.s. If something goes wrong they are also quick to respond, so recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by dmrb View Post
              Thanks JB. I am indeed guilty of over thinking
              No worries, I guess everyone is a little nervous on securing their first gig. You'll be amazed at what you don't know right now, but the IPSE guide is a good start. BTW, there's no need to wait for a bank account before securing an accountant. I have no experience of Crunch, but InTouch are excellent. You'll find a long list of possibilities here.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                There are loads of similar companies out there but I use Swift internet for my website and three domains.
                Each domain has about five email accounts with a webmail interface if I want it or you can just use MS Outlook.

I use myname.co.uk, myname.com ---> Pointing to: my Company name.co.uk

I would use your email address at your domain.

i.e: [email protected]

Swift internet also do websites but I paid someone to do a basic HTML one and I just copy it up to my domain.
                I had forgotten HTML and could not be bothered to re-learn it.

If it gets overwritten but something / someone then I just copy it back again.

I pay about £200 per year but there are loads of companies that do hosting, email and domains.

p.s. If something goes wrong they are also quick to respond, so recommended.
                £200 a year!

Try Vidahost £29 a year for hosting, email and a free domain name IIRC
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Or free if you piggyback one of client co's servers.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by dmrb View Post
                    I have to email ClientCo for the first time tomorrow and wish to follow correct procedure for IR35 etc.
                    As long as it's not something like "[email protected]" you'll be fine whatever you use.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X