• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lagoon Power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lagoon Power

BBC News - World's first lagoon power plants unveiled in UK

I hadn't heard of this one before and in principle it seems a neat idea - like a hydroelectric dam but filled by the ocean.

But is it a loony scheme or does it make sense? Clearly your tidal range makes a big difference how much energy you can get per square meter and you lose power at slack water which is a problem but maybe one that can be addressed in the design?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

There are more pleasurable ways of generating power, it seems.

Comment

To some extent they can choose when to generate the power. E.g. not let any water out whilst the tide is going out, then open the gates when it's needed the most.

It seems like this might actually improve the environment, in as much as making the beaches nicer and having a big lagoon for water sports and bird life. Though anglers are moaning about the turbines killing the fish they want to kill. As always the amount of power seems a bit pathetic: £1bn investment to provide for 155,000 homes (just homes, not industry, schools, hospitals etc.), which I guess just about covers Swansea.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It says the series of six lagoons could generate 8% of the UK's electricity for an investment of £30bn.

First is comparable with offshore wind or Solar farms. Its nice dependable instant power so your kettle will boil after Eastenders.

Cardiff costs the same as onshore wind and you get a nice bay for watersports.

Cost of electricity by source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You could build one in the Thames Estuary, cover it over and get a free airport.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            You could build one in the Thames Estuary, cover it over and get a free airport.
            we could call it 'The Boris Barrier'.

not entirely a stupid idea (unless you are a wetland bird).
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Ah. So muggins pays yet again.
              Who do you think should pay for our electricity?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

According to the BBC this morning - it costs the same as a nuclear power plant and is much safer. Or, as I heard it - it costs the same as a nuclear power plant and is even safer.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Who do you think should pay for our electricity?
                  People who support green policies.

High time that the "green community" fund their own green projects.

I'm quite happy with coal fired stations. They're environmentally more friendly then contraptions that will end up as rusty white elephants.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    People who support green policies.

High time that the "green community" fund their own green projects.

I'm quite happy with coal fired stations. They're environmentally more friendly then contraptions that will end up as rusty white elephants.
                    And I'd be quite happy if coal paid it's way. One third of premature deaths related to air pollution is due to coal, around 1 million people worldwide annually. Indeed electricity from coal would double in price if the industry had to pay for all the externalities - damage to the environment and human health by particulates, N Oxides, Chromium and arsenic (and that excludes coal's contribution to AGW).

Apologies, I know facts aren't really your thing.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X